Updated Installed Components

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ablatt, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

When I right click on the NOD icon in the taskbar and choose 'About', I get the following list of Installed Components. Obviously some have been updated automatically recently by NOD.

Virus signature database: 3050 (20080423 )
    Update module: 1023 (20080229 )
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1109 (20080418 )
    Advanced heuristics module: 1070 (20080212 )
    Archive support module: 1077 (20080422 )
    Cleaner module: 1027 (20080418 )

I imagine all of NOD can't be automatically updated from the WEB and new releases of NOD have drivers that must be installed manually?

But I'd still be interested to know where the files for these updated modules are located.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. awsomaha

awsomaha Registered Member

Obvisouly, virus sig database is updated automataclly if you have it setup to do that. As for some of the other ones, I have only known get them updated after I download the latest version. Maybe someone can can either confirm or deny this?

3. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

Not true, three of the modules were all updated automatically recently in April.

4. piranha

piranha Registered Member

5. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

I know about the setting to update components as well, and I do have it set.

My question relates to the Installed Components themselves. How do they get updated?

Are they separate files located somewhere?

Are they just code inside ekrn.exe?

Are they DLL's?

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

They are periodically updated via the update function of the program just like the "Virus signature database" but less frequently.

Bubba

7. piranha

piranha Registered Member

i am sure to have read here that component update comes with virus database update

8. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

I know they come as part of signature updates, but where are these updated components located?

Are they files located somewhere? What are they called? Are they pieces of ekrn.exe?

I guess nobody knows.

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As with most database files, they have a file extension of .dat. Those .dat files can be found in your Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus folder. Each of those files represent a particular module component. You can open the files with notepad if you wish and at the top of the file is the info saying what module that file represents.

The latest Archive support module: 1077 (20080422)em003_32.dat
    If you care to look further, you can open the upd.ver file located in your Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Updfiles folder and you should be able to then determine any further info concerning the files and their associated modules.

Bubba

10. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

Thanks Bubba, that explains the modules very well.

I wonder out of curiousity how they get executed?

Are these .dat files full program modules on their own? Are they patches that get applied?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.