Update to 9770, no Repair/Upgrade option?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by E-Buzz, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Being a fairly new user of ATIH 2009 i just recently installed build 9709, and now i´ve found an update (at acronis.eu) to that version, namely 9770.

Checking knowledge base (http://kb.acronis.com/content/1541) tells me that i just can install on top over the older version with no problem, just choose Repair/Upgrade option when starting the installer. The problem is, that option never shows up when starting the procedure.....

Is it still safe to install on top of the old version, despite the fact that the knowledge base probably (maybe?) refers to an obsolete function in the update process (the KB article is from 2006)?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, i´m on Vista Ultimate x64.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  2. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I installed over the top of 9709 and everything works fine. It kept all my settings including scheduled tasks and I didn't need to enter the activation key again either. I'm on Vista x64 too.

3. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Thanks Ade 1, guess i´ll give it a shot then :)

4. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

No worries. You'll be fine.

5. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Just for reference, the above described method was not totally without problems. I started to install the newer version and it got stuck about 85% in the process. Waited for about half an hour and then halted the process (Task Manager) and rebooted. Then Acronis (obviously) reported a non-working installation when restarting the computer. Ran the installer again and then got the option to repair installation. Did so, and after that everything was OK.

My guess is that you´ll have to manually stop all the running Acronis services before an attempt to update on top over the old installation is done. The KB article description is (as mentioned) heavily outdated and according to my experience the Ade 1 way of doing it works as long as you manually stop the running services first. Circumstantially work though, for the Average Joe an easier way of doing it would be better.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Actually, you can install the software on top over previous version, it should work.

Despite that, it's recommended to completely uninstall previous version prior installing new one. Since installation on top can cause a conflict and interrupted installation (due to registry values from previous version).

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.