update snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by maddawgz, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

hi all with my First Defence ISR i normally go back to a snapshot after i may get a virus or something but if i install new programs is there a way just to update the existing snapshot without doing a whole new one again... as when i revert back i do have to re-enstall some programs

So my question is out of the green or yellow arrows which one do i update right click?? is it the yellow one the one i created? so if i revert back to that its updated ? thanks.. guess the only downfall to maybe updateing is you may have a nastie and not realise 9/10 i leave the snapshot just for ER !

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

maddawgz, there is never any need to update the current Snapshot that you are in; whatever you do to the Snapshot that you are currently using STAYS, after all, it IS currently your real c:drive.

The green is the Snapshot that you are currently in, and as I said above, never needs to be saved or updated unless you want to change it back to something, that is, take it back in time. :cool:

3. maddawgz

oh ok still abit lost say i add a new application to my pc.... see i normally make 1 snapshot go back to that if something happens but it goes back to b4 i added the application ? so if ive done a little bit to the pc or added stuff, i gotta re add it...... i know green is my active pc know what i mean?

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

maddawgz,
    The absolute minimum is 2 snapshots and one of them has to be a healthy snapshot, otherwise you will lose the advantage of Immediate System Recovery (ISR).
    Normally :
    - your primary snapshot = working snapshot
    - your secondary snapshot = healthy snapshot

If you install a software on your primary snapshot and it works fine during a few days and you like it.
    You can copy/update from your primary snapshot (=source) to your secondary snapshot (=destination), which is often called refreshing by FDISR-users. (copy/update = copy/refresh)
    After refreshing your secondary snapshot = primary snapshot.
    And both snapshots will contain the new approved software.

If you don't like the software.
    You can copy/update from your secondary snapshot (=source) to your primary snapshot (=destination)
    After refreshing your primary snapshot = secondary snapshot.
    In other words the software is gone in your primary snapshot, you can't have a better uninstaller than FDISR :D

If the software is corrupting your primary snapshot.
    You restart your computer and press the F1-key in the Pre-boot Screen and boot in the secondary snapshot and you will be back in business.
    The primary snapshot can be removed after that.
    And you copy/update your secondary snapshot to a new primary snapshot.
    And you have again two snapshots.
    There are also other ways to fix the primary snapshot.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  5. maddawgz

ahhhhhh ok so i right click green update theno_O the Primary or do i right click yellow i only have 1 snapshot yellow healthy one i boot back to incase of ER but if i have a nastie it updates that too yeah being the yellow one , the yellow healthy one i assume u never touch that so if u b oot back to that u still loose software but least its healthy? is that correct thanks MD

Ok lemme try again sorry lol
    Hyperthetical here...

I install Adobe photoshop luv it but i made a snapshot yesterday being the healthy one... but didnt include my adobe? woops! so if i want to include my adobe i go to ISR
    then i right click the green one being primary says update so i update next box comes up click next then i see in the box both yellow and green i choose yellow right cuz that's the healthy one and i want to add my new sofware so i highlite the yellow click next it asks me new snapshoto_Oo_O?? this is where i get stuck round about here cuz i dont want to create a new one just merge my new application into that healthy yellow one? MD

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If you installed Adobe Photoshop in the primary snapshot (your work snapshot) and you want
    Adobe Photoshop also installed on your secondary snapshot (your healthy snapshot), then you have to do this :

1. Boot in the primary snapshot
    2. Open FDISR
    3. Copy/Update primary snapshot (= green) to secondary snapshot (= yellow)

After that your secondary snapshot will have Adobe Photoshop also.
    Keep in mind that a green snapshot can never be a destination snapshot, but you don't have to worry about that because all wizards of FDISR decide for you what is possible or not.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

md, an important concept to remember when using FD is this: Whenever you use one Snapshot to undate another, they are now identical. There is actually four exceptions to this, but even they make sense; your paging file, recycle bin, hibernate file, and .tmp files are NOT copied. But other than those four exceptions, after you update a Snapshot, the yellow is now identical to the green. :cool:

Acadia

8. maddawgz

Ok thanks think i grasped it now, It saved me the other day again when 2 av's got corrupted phewwww ! Most of the time if i install something i wont bother to update from green to yellow...incase there is a nastie in the pc and the healthy gets corrupted id prob rather just leave the healthy and re-enstall the program later MD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.