Update Server in a LAN environement

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Devlin7, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devlin7

Devlin7 Registered Member

Howdy, I am currently trialling NOD32 RAC. Our environment has a number of laptops and so I would like the laptops to initially update of the LAN server mirror and if this fails try the other NOD32 servers for an update.

I would like to know how to add my local mirror to the list of servers on every machine in the network.

I can see in the machine config a file that allows me to specify the update server to use [currently autoselect] but I can't see where to add my server to the others. I realise this can be done manually at the machine but this isn't exactly helpful.

Any ideas? o_O

2. Devlin7

Wow 70 people have read this post and nobody has come up with a single comment.

More information

I have added four profiles for updates.

1) NETWORK - If connected to the lan : Connect to http://testbox:8081
    2) Laptop Dialup - If dialled to the internet : auto select a NOD server
    3) Laptop Other - If connected to the internet [laptop other] : auto select a NOD server
    4) Another network update point :

The problem is if I shutdown the mirror TESTBOX and run the update the nod update service says Server error. It doesn't attempt to try the other profiles.

I can not let the users change profiles because the settings are locked by a password [One password fits all]

Has anybody got any ideas. Surely you can't all be using one mirror for all your updates?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you want to use a primary and secondary update profile, just edit an update task and the last setup screen will provide this option.

4. zashita

zashita Registered Member

Hi Devlin7,

Create a new update tast, select repeatedly, then choose the repeat time, and at the last box, tick the 'show dialog for special options' box and click on 'finish'.
    Here you will find a new box where you will find what you need, how to use a second profile if the update failed with the first.

Attached Files:

5. Devlin7

Thanks Zashita,

I can see this will work but I can not see how to deploy your solution from the RAC.

Regards

Devlin7

6. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi Devlin7:

In the NOD32 Configuration Editor General/Settings/Scheduler. Add Task - NOD32 Update following zashita's advice. The Primary Profile and Alternative Profile will be available.

7. zashita

In the Configuration Editor, update part, right click and create a new profile there ... (if you not already have the new one added)
    And follow rumpstah advices :)

8. Devlin7

I appreciate your help but you obviously have something different to me.

As mentioned before I have already created two profiles. I can see in the NOD control panel on the configured machined how to add an alternative update. However at the RAC console within the editor I can not specify an alternative.

I create a scheduled task using the nod32update, specify hourly updates and finally get to a box that says special settings. The settings box allows me to specify one profile only. I have the option to specify a name and also a value. There is a next button which remains greyed out. I can only specify the one profile no option for an alternate.

The help is not particularly helpful.

I know this can be done but I sure as hell don't know how to do it

9. Devlin7

Folks, this is the screen shot I get.

Attached Files:

10. Devlin7

Lets play spot the difference.

I have taken a copy of the config from my machine and looked at the NOD32 default setup for dial/vpn connection update. The special settings has a slightly different look.

I can configure what I want at the workstaion and then suck this configuration back to the RAC but how do I make the package installer import my configuration? [As they say there are many ways to skin a CAT!]

Attached Files:

• nod2.jpg
      nod2.jpg
      File size:
      24.4 KB
      Views:
  11. zashita

Devlin7, what is your nod32 version ? 2.12 or 2.5 ?

12. Devlin7

I downloaded Nod 2.5. I also downloaded the RAC and server [ver 1.0.7].

I take it you are seeing something different?

NOD32 antivirus system information
    Virus signature database version: 1.1141 (20050615)
    Dated: Wednesday, June 15, 2005
    Virus signature database build: 5761

Information on other scanner support parts
    Advanced heuristics module version: 1.015 (20050602)
    Advanced heuristics module build: 1083
    Internet filter version: 1.002 (2004070:cool:
    Internet filter build: 1013
    Archive support module version: 1.030 (20050419)
    Archive support module build version: 1117

Information about installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Base
    Version: 2.50.19
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Internet support
    NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Standard component

Operating system information
    Platform: Windows XP
    Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
    Version of common control components: 5.82.2900
    RAM: 510 MB
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2793 MHz)

13. Devlin7

To anyone who maybe interested I have got to the bottom of this problem.

I had downloaded version 2.5 standard for Windows XP and created my own installation package. We do not run Windows 98 so I didn't bother with Win98. It seems that the RAC defaults the installation to version 2 if you do this and therefore you do not get the new Alternate profile option.

It took a while but we got there.

I appreciate your help.

14. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The latest version of RAS already comes with v. 2.50 installers embedded.

15. jonosh

jonosh Registered Member

Devlin7, Hope you can share in more details how you addressed your problem. I also have the same issue. From the client side i can easily configure the alternate profile. I tried uploading the config to RAS but can't see that option using RAC's configuration editor. I need to deploy this setting to multiple computers.

thanks, Jon

16. Devlin7

Hi Jon,

My problem was that I created my own packages and because I didn't select a windows 98 installation I can only assume that the RAC put one in by default using the previous version which didn't support the alternate profiles.

I must admit I don't know how to add my own server to the server list but I got around this by specifying the server I wanted in the update server field. [We only use the one server for updates]

I created a new update profile for the laptops updating them using auto select. I then scheduled a task to check for updates hourly or on connection of dial up. If you do find how to add a server to the server lists I would be interested. My was strictly a work around!

17. jonosh

jonosh Registered Member

Hi Devlin7,
    Able to address the issue by refreshing the RAC with the latest version on my RA (remote admin) Server and then restarted the server.

Thanks very much. Tis thread helped me address my requirement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.