[Update] Returnil System Safe 2011 v3.2.12918.5857-REL14

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Coldmoon, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

dismounted

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Ok, thanks for the update. The lead QC Engineer tried to reproduce this issue and was unsuccessful. He did however ask if you can do as he describes by going back to the previous image and trying the upgrade again. For this test however, you can use random files and data rather than using your backed up information from the previous incident:

Do you also see this and if you do the same steps, does the VD mount properly and are you able to access the test files/data as expected?

Mike

3. Firebytes

Honestly, I had to do the upgrade twice as is, so I don't know that I want to go back and do it a third time, but when I upgraded before I did see the text in the Returnil GUI that said “No Virtual Disk detected”. I bet the Rvsystem.img file itself was there though and I just didn't think to look for it. Question though... shouldn't the Returnil GUI have detected the Rvsystem.img file itself after the upgrade?

Also, I looked at the MSINFO32 report on one of my computers and I hadn't realized just how much information it contains about the computer. Seeing the vast amount of info it contains, I am a little hesitant to provide it to any company. Is there a specific part of its information that you need to help diagnose the problem with ejecting removable media without me sending the entire report on Monday when I have the wife's system? If you do need the entire thing and I decide to send it, I would likely want to redact some information in it like usernames, mac addresses, etc.

4. Coldmoon

Hi Fb,
    The MSINFO32 file is a standard report created by Windows and is only used for troubleshooting from our end. The most important parts of it are the listing of installed programs and configurations that enable the team to simulate your computer in the lab and the event log information which can help the team narrow in on possible areas to investigate related to the issue report and cross-referenced with the RVS3 logs we always ask for when required for a support issue investigation.

This information is secured within our internal support system which is highly restricted to technical team members who need access to it during an initial issue investigation and for research related to new issue reports that might be related now or in the future. IOWs, we are only interested in the information that helps identify a root cause of a problem; especially when we are unable to reproduce the problem on any of our standard test systems.

That should not be an issue as this information is not needed (generally superfluous and only contained in the Windows report because it is a Windows report) for a technical investigation. Anything you redact, if found to be important later, can be re-requested specifically by the QC engineering team through your support contact with an explanation as to why it is needed.

Mike

5. Firebytes

@ Coldmoon - MSINFO32 report sent.

6. Firebytes

@ Coldmoon - Any luck reproducing the problem with ejecting USB drives and hopefully finding a fix?

Also, I don't know if it matters but the problem with ejecting the drives was happening to me while virtual mode was off. I haven't tried it with the virtual mode enabled as I haven't had the need.

7. Coldmoon

At this point the team is reporting they are able to reproduce this and should have a fix for this in REL15.

8. Firebytes

That's great, any guess as to how far away you are from REL15?

9. crystian

crystian Registered Member

Do you know when the saving changes and the file commits options will be available for the additional partitions ( non-system disks & partitions ) ?
    Thank you .

10. Coldmoon

Hi crystian,
    Have you attempted to add any of the content to the File Manager list?

Mike

11. crystian

Even if I have purchased a license for 1 year in order to check the full functionality of returnil I continued to use shadow defender because at that moment ( several month ago ) he offered in addition virtualization for all partitions and the commit files or folders option for any partition ( not just for the system partition ) . I see two days ago that the new returnil release offers multi-disk virtualization support added for non-system disks & partitions ( similar to shadow defender ) but I also see the message " You can enable virtualization on unlimited amount of additional drives. But NOTE: saving changes and the file commits will not be available. These features can be applied only for system drive. " from additional partitions settings . I have not really tested if I can save files or folders located on other partitions placed in virtual mode ( using file manager list , as you suggested above ) because I never disabled shadow mode ( virtualization mode of shadow defender ) and the correct installation of returnil would be lost after restarting the computer . Until I do a complete testing in vmware this was my interpretation of that message seen in the returnil interface : i can not save files or folders placed in a virtualized non-system partition ( i must exit from virtual mode , save files and folders and enter in virtual mode again , in order to protect all files or folders placed in that non-system partition ) .
    Thank you for your time .

12. Coldmoon

First, you cannot or should not be able to use SD and RSS/RVS together at the same time due to driver conflicts. Next, you can save content in the free version by using the Virtual Disk (Virtual Mode > Tools > Virtual Disk). This will create a large file that Windows will see as another, non-system partition/disk where you can save content while in Virtual Mode.

This is clearer now and true regarding the saving of content on the non-system drives when virtualized - apologies for misunderstanding the total question here.

AYou would still be able however to use the Virtual Disk alternative as described above. Some things to know about the VD:

1. To write to the root of the "drive", you must be an administrator. As a non-admin or limited user, the user needs to create a folders or folders within the VD which he/she can then save content to.

2. If you are using the VD to save program data, you should configure it to load with Windows start so it is always available.

Mike

13. crystian

Ok, thanks a lot.
    Now, back to my original question : I hope your engineers plans to activate the saving of content on the non-system drives option in the future for those who do not want to use ( for various reasons ) other alternative methods such as those described above by you .
    Anyway the returnil products are a good alternative ( obviously better than classic antivirus products available on the market ) and it seems you do a great job here .

Yours sincerely,
    Cristian-Ion Cociu

14. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I stopped using REL14 because I can't make A-E to work.
    Please update to REL15 soon :(

also please include MD5 hash for every installation files
    so we can verify the file integrity :)

p.s: ahh can't do my job with Returnil >__<

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  15. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

been 2 months already. Any info when REL15 will be out? :(

16. 2k2

2k2 Registered Member

Where can I find Returnil System Safe 2011 v3.2.12918.5857-REL14 with German languages?

17. Coldmoon

Hi 2K2,
    REL14 was upgraded with a new installer package and we did not have a German localization available at the time of release. If you need the German, REL13 would be a better fit for the time being; at least until the next release.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Mike

18. 2k2

2k2 Registered Member

Where can I download REL13 with German languages?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.