Update of LnSSvc for XP-SP2 issue

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by jag1967, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

Update of LnSSvc for XP-SP2 issue - AGAIN

Hi

I just installed xp-sp2 which worked with fine with LnS
    Then I loaded the update of LnSSvc, and it shows up in windows security correctly, as well as loading up as a service.

Though, now when I run some progs that access the net like proximitron or firefox, I get a LnS popup saying that windows explorer.exe wants to launch firefox.
    Is this normal, and I assume I should click direct connection?

Even if I click direct connection, doesn't this now give automatic permission for windows explorer to launch other programs wanting to connect to the internet, or would this be only for firefox. If the former, I don't believe this is a good thing

thanks

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

Explorer is naturally the parent of any executable you manually start, so you should give it the right to launch other apps (not to access directly the net).
    To sume up, in advanced mode, you should have a red icon, and after a double green arrow. This way Explorer can't access the net, but can launch other apps.

When you will launch a new app, Lns will ask you about it, instead of each time asking you for "Explorer launches app.exe"; so I don't think there is a risk, you are warned anyway by a popup.

regards,

gkweb.

3. jag1967

Hi

thx for reply and confirmation of what I set up already.
    Though wondering why after launching LnS as a service, progs like firefox are launched via explorer.exe, rather than directly. B4 using the service startup, their own window would pop up, not the explorer's.

rgds
    jag

4. jag1967

Re: Update of LnSSvc for XP-SP2 issue AGAIN

Ok, just discovered something far more serious.

I understand the LnSSvc is still beta, but what just happened is alarming.

On starting up this morning, LnS ran as normal (now via a service), but I just happend to look at the welcome page and it showed LnS wasn't connected. Checked the options page which showed that my ethernet card hadn't been automatically selected. LnS has been set to auto find my card, (is this incorrect?)

The worst thing was I was able to connect to the internet via firefox whilst LnS was running, but not connected o_O

I delselected the auto connect feature and manually selected my ethernet card. Upon rebooting, LnS works fine now.

But, what just happened?? I did set CleanMOcache to clean at startup, but unsure how this would interfere with LnS starting as a service.

Just to check, in taskmanager, I have both LnSSvc.exe and looknstop.exe running as processes

Would appreciate some clarification

rgds
    jag

5. gkweb

Hi,

I don't think that it is related to the service in itself, just a configuration problem on your side.
    The first time you install the service, if you do not follow the readme, you lose your configuration (including so the interface selected).

gkweb.

6. jag1967

hi gkweb

I think I understand.

Although, if LnS shows up running as an icon (and windows security in sp2 indicates this also), given that it is not actually connected (ip address showing 0.0... and no tick in box in welcome tab) and not doing any filtering etc - isn't this a flaw in the configuration? LnS should not show up as running as it not doing anything and giving the impression it is actually properly functioning?

thanks
    jag

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

It's more likely a bug than a flaw in the configuration.

Normally, if the auto mode was selected (which is the degfault case), and after you connected to internet through the firefox adapter, Look 'n' Stop should have detected that this adapter got a new IP and should have selected automatically this adapter instead the Ethernet one.

It is possible this automatic selection doesn't work correctly when done sooner through a service.

Does you firefox adapter get its IP during boot or later ?

Frederic

8. gkweb

Hi,

If I am not wrong, jag1967 is talking about the FireFox browser (Mozilla), I don't think it is an adaptater.

About the automatic selection not working, I didn't notice that with the service.

gkweb.

9. jag1967

Hi

yep, gkweb, I was talking about the browser, firefox.

regarding the auto selection of the network interface, I get my 3COM ethernet card showing and a WAN miniport which has LnS in the title.
    Normally, LnS has detected the 3COM automatically.

But when I first loaded it as service, it didn't. Nothing was selected. And in the welcome page, it showed lnS not being connected with an ip adr of 0.0....
    My concern was that I was surfing without LnS being connected, even though the icon in taskbar showed it to be running.

Now as I said, I installed a couple of new progs which start up at windows I think at the same time as initially running LnS as a service. Not sure if they interfered somehow.

But everything is working fine if I manually set the n/w interface. I haven't tried it again on auto selection.

rgds
    jag

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.