Update Issues

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Ohdarn, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Well, I have another update issue with this program. Not sure why this time but am guessing I may just have to forget about having any kind of antivirus on my dial up computer.

The phone line where the dial up machine is at went bad. Lot of static. The phone company changed the line and I went from a 49.9 connection to a 14.4 connection. I will contact the phone company but they will tell me they only guarantee voice quailty.

I know get a high speed connection. But it is not available.

Anyway now my home machine is up to date with NOD and no issues but my dial up machine keeps telling me NOD is up to date and no update is needed. I know that is wrong because I have not updated NOD in 13 days. Been very busy and have not even turned the machine on.

Anyway could there be an issue with NOD or is the 14.4 connection so slow I am not getting a response from NOD?

Anyway I will call the phone company Monday and see what gives. If all else fails I will just have to forget having antivirus on this one computer and decide to never go on line with it.

2. Megachip

Megachip Registered Member

Which version did u use on your remote mashine?

Updates for 2.5 discontinued on 19.04

3. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

I am using 4.2.35.0

I finally after a few hours got it to update but the samething happened the next time I tried to update. I have a program that is now more than a week out of date and it will not update.

4. DrWattsOn

DrWattsOn Registered Member

Another important factor is your ISP: who are they? How long have you had them? What is your geographical location?
    Whatever your phone carrier says, it is a simple fact that any decent analog phone connection will provide analog modem quality, so you have a poor connection (wiring), probably between you and your telco local switch.
    You should not talk to them prior to checking your lines in the house, so I would suggest disconnecting every wired phone jack in your house, go connect a shielded modem phone cable directly to the line from the pole, where it is attached to posts on your house, with any lines from there to your house disconnected. Run that new, direct line to your modem. If it your modem operates properly (which I think it won't), your problem is in your house, and could include interfering products connected to the other phone jacks.
    If the problem is still bad, the fault is with the telco.
    Lie to them (they have their hands on your pocketbook, and have no competition, so you are their prisoner): "lots of static on the lines, intermittently (very important to say "intermittently") and press that point.
    Don't even mention modems or computers. Tell them what you hooked to the line directly was a standard, analog telephone (in fact: do that!). Tell them you think the problem is either loose or corroded nuts on the posts in the box (usually about a block away) holding your connection (happened to me), or a bad connection at the pole. Also consider that often, telcos still screw up phone lines when someone nearby gets DSL (I assume from what you said that that is geographically unfeasable). If DSL has been improperly implemented on the pole or a line with DSL is cross-linked to your line, they have a problem to fix but a DSL filter can be helpful until they actually fulfill the obligations of the job you are already paying them to do.
    Please remember to post updates here, so we know how it went... don't just disappear on us and leave us wondering.
    Question: how did you manage to maintain connection long enough to post your problem on this forum?
    Good Luck,
    DrWattsOn

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  5. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

DrWattsOn,

I will answer you questions but I assure you it is the phone company and you will see that from my answers. Please also note I had to make an emergency out of town trip. I am at my destination but not sure how often I will be on line for the next week or so but will check here for replies when I can.

Anyway here are my answers which will lead to a phone company issue.
    ISP is not the issue you will see why from the other answers, I have used them for several years.

Phone company only guarantees voice quality. If they do not find any issues on the line that are not phone line related they will charge for the visit.

Two part answer here. I run phone and network lines at my job as computer tech support and networking. My inside line is just fine. Part two, where I live my Demarc is actually a quick connect box which means I can unclip a hinge and directly plug in a cat3 wire to the demarc and then directly to the computer modem no inside wiring, phone jacks or other connected equipment to consider. Issue still present.

You are correct DSL is not available on the closest pop. That pop which connects to I think they call an SAI then to the Central Office. Our SAI is located beyond the CO max distance for DSL. DSL will never be offered as FiOS is in the area but at this time not cost effective to pay for it just to use one or two days a month.

This question was not asked but will answer which will tell you why the ISP is not at fault.

Phone line has issue, static or no dial tone when it rains but best possible dial up connection possible when dry. Contact phone company from another phone when it was raining with all interior wiring disconnected from quick connect, they said Central Office issue I don't need to be home. Get home fine a note on door saying I will be charged because they needed access to the inside because it had dried up and the line was clear (of course). Called disputed and charge removed. Called again for service few days later made arrangements to be on site still good dial up speed when dry. Tech decides there is an unbalanced line and switches wire pairs to Central Office. No static but Dial Up drops from 53,xxx to 14,xxx speed on very next dial up after new line installed. Called phone company again, they checked out the issue and that is when I was told they only guarantee voice quality not internet quality. End of story will not do anything about fixing the issue.

Posted this message from my other computer at a different location.

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, you should perhaps file a complaint with telco authorities out there. Similar stuff is plain not acceptable.

7. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

I do not plan to let this drop, but can not do anything about it at this time. In the end if they refuse I will just drop their service and get my phone from my cable company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.