Update issues

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by SBMongoos, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBMongoos

SBMongoos Registered Member

Anyone having trouble updating the Beta? Been trouble shooting internet connections recently and am now not using a router but connected directly to the cable modem. Currently I can surf the net but cannot get the Beta to update. It shows 1/3 when trying to update and starts on 1 but then just stops and says "Virus signature data base update failed".

It looks like if ESS had trouble updating the last couple of days that it may not update now. Clarification: since I've had some issues with the internet connection perhaps something has become corrupt? If so can I grab the update manually for the Beta and download it? If so where does the update get placed?

Thanks..

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did you try restarting your computer to see if it will update?

3. SBMongoos

Hasn't updated since 2/16 per the app interface. I've rebooted and started the PC at least a few times since then. Certainly more.

4. ugly

ugly Registered Member

Try a clean RC install.
    Mine is working without problems.

5. SBMongoos

What is RC?

Edit
    Release candidate. Seems like a hassle. Just to the usual uninstall via Add/Remove? Or is there a cleaner file to run?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  6. PatG

PatG Registered Member

If it were me, in addition to Add/Remove, then would delete any directory if there was one, then would run a good registry cleaner to rid the registry of any traces. Doing a reinstall after this should clear up any problems. Let us know.

7. SBMongoos

Okay, maybe I'm being an ass here but I thought there was a manual way to get the updates and that would fix the problem. Apparently ESS has become corrupt?

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Try downloading the Release Candidate for ESET Smart Security, uninstalling your currently-installed copy in Safe Mode via the Programs folder in the Start Menu, rebooting and then installing the new version.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. SBMongoos

Done. Worked fine. I think I overlooked a thread I read previous where someone mentioned not using your username/pwd from v3. It works in the app but hoses the server update. I see a note about leaving the one that comes with the RC intact.

10. Dracula87

Dracula87 Registered Member

Hi! I've been having download problems too.

Installed the RC version after uninstalling the previous Beta and cleaning all leftovers. As usual, the ESS updates signatures without any problem. But still there are times when it doesn't correctly download them - I get "bad username or password" (I'm using the beta key). Such happens once in 1-2 days (as I could see it by myself, maybe more often - my PC is on 24 hours a day). Of course, when I press Update again, manually, it checks for new signatures and everything is OK.

There are also times when the speed was equal to zero when ESS tried to check for a new version of signatures.

This problem was also seen on the Beta version.

11. SBMongoos

Since I installed the RC the other day I have had an odd occurrence. After the PC boots up I have it it reboot once and the also shut off once. This is odd. Down side is I was away from the PC each time when this took place.

12. SBMongoos

No problems. Seems to be working fine.

When this v4 goes live can we use our registered username/password with v4?

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes you can.

14. SBMongoos

Cool. So when the RC goes live I can switch over and use my license. That's very cool!

15. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I have had no issues with the RC on my laptop, I like what I see, good stuff can't wait till it goes live...

16. SBMongoos

deleted...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.