Update intervals

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by Madsen DK, Dec 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Hi.
    Hope you all had a wonderful X mas.
    A little question about updates. I can see that the last time Nod was updated was 17/12 02. Isnt that a littel too long.?
    I know that it has strong heuristics, but i think that 13 days is too long.
    Perhaps im wrong. o_O
    I know that some other companies realeases their updates on a weekly basis, unless there is a major virusoutbreak, but wouldnt daily updates be much safer, or doesnt it matter so much as long that the new viruses have an low risk assesment.
    Perhaps im just a little paranoid :D
    Regards
    Ole

2. Phil

Phil Registered Member

I did a little study when I first purchased NOD32 and noticed they typically lag a little behind on updating for the same virus unless it is a nasty one. In that case, they usually release the same day. This time, however, they seem to be running longer than normal considering most av apps have updated and some have had two. I am beginning to wonder if the ESET organization is on extended holiday because there has also been no presence in the newsgroup -- a little strange I think, considering the beta release.

Phil

3. Madsen DK

Hi Phil
    I agree, but the whole company cant be on holiday, or so you should think.
    :eek:
    Regards Ole

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I agree! This is VERY disturbing. The release of a beta with almost no presence here from Eset and now no updates in what will be TWO WEEKS tomorrow. It is as though all of Eset got swallowed up by a black hole. I think it showed poor judgement, on the part of the company, to release a beta product and then virtually disappear. I have nothing against people taking time off at the holiday season, but why release a long and eagerly awaited beta (guaranteeing that many would immediately download it) and then take off? That makes very little sense and one thing you really expect out of an antivirus company is good sense!

Now to add to that perturbing situation we have had no updates in a very long while. NAV, Kaspersky, all of the others have updated several times in this time period. It appears a bit arrogant to me. I am aware of NOD32's record and strong heuristics and I also am aware that most viruses updated for recently, by other av applications, are fairly weak ones. None-the-less, arrogance goes before the fall. Eset would be wise to take notice.

5. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Sometimes people on the continent do things a little differently. After all, one entire COUNTRY is closed for holiday (vacation) during the summer. :D :D (Germany, if I remember correctly)

Phil

6. Madsen DK

Hi Phil
    Germany? , yes i think your right :D
    Regards Ole

7. Phil

Phil Registered Member

I am of the opinion the "speed" of update is of less concern than "correctness". The big boys have all been known to trash systems in their rush to be *first*. False positives are not uncommon either. To my knowledge, A NOD32 update has not caused a major problem that affected many systems as the others have done on more than one instance. If the truth be known, I could probably operate without an AV as far as email is concerned -- the delivery system preferred by most nasties these days. My email client is not prone to damage by those worms/viruses targeted at OE nor does it use the IE HTML rendering engine so can't be targeted in that way either. My email client doesn't get a chance to see most of them because I delete them at the server. A little safe hex, as it were.

My primary puzzlment was why there has been no feedback from ESET on the beta. <shrug> I suspect we will see a NOD update tomorrow. I have noticed ESET is always quick with an update when there is a fast-moving, dangerous virus afoot. No worries. :)

Phil

8. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

As far as i know, NOD32 is updated as necessary. Besides I red somewhere that they guarantee at leas 1 update in two weeks. So w8 till tomorrow and we will be suprised or not ...

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Just updated :D

Cheers.

Attached Files:

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi Blackspear, quite a fast update, you keep being
    a step ahead of us:)

The good news is that the following update (1.33:cool: is going to be
    released today at about 12.00 AM.

11. Blackspear

What can I say, other than, there's no flies on us down here in Oz :D

Cheers :D

12. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Even 1.339 has already been released...

13. Blackspear

Yup, 1.339 already installed :D

They're back on the ball :D

14. Madsen DK

Two updates in one day. :D
    You`r certainly back :D
    Regards Ole

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.