Update for Windows 7 for x64 based Systems (KB3001554)?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Oct 1, 2014.

1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

About the only thing I use Media Player for is MID files (I've got a large-ish collection), since for whatever reason VLC (at least the free version) can't handle those. Way back when, there used to be a complicated way to install and set up an add-on for those, but I can't find info on that any more. VLC for all other media, from MP3s to audio CD to DVDs to you-name-it video formats.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Have you tried SMPLayer? It seems to be able to play anything on my x86 Vista laptop which won't run audio AND video in certain mp4 files in a variety of media players including MPC-HC and PotPlayer.

http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/

PortableApps http://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/smplayer_portable

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

No, becuase I disable it only after the updates are installed, and make sure I enablbe it again after I eventually reboot.
    I usually have no problem finding the cause of BSODs, so not really an issue for me in the highly unlikely case Windows Update causes a BSOD.

4. Daveski17

I actually expect Windows updates to BSOD my computer. I'm always slightly astonished when they don't. ;)

5. fs2com

fs2com Registered Member

Oh I see... well it's okay if that happens when you got spare time to deal with it... most of the time it happens when you're not :D

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, but I couldn't find any reference there or on the MPlayer site to MID, even using the Edit/Find menu option. I get the impression that it's widely considered an obsolete format, primarily since it can't handle vocals and was pretty much replaced by MP3 for that reason -- plus, of course, MP3 is essentially for sound recording while MID was for use with synthesizers. WMP still handles MID just fine, and my audio controller (an older AMD model) came with several good wave-table sets which Win 7 is quite happy with.

7. Daveski17

I suppose it was a bit of a long shot. I still have some RealPlayer files on my laptop and even SMPlayer or VLC can't play them. Were MID files related to MIDI?

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I guess I've got way too much time on my hands ;)

9. JustinGoldberg

JustinGoldberg Registered Member

This update completely hosed a customers installation of Olympus Master photo manager. This program was written in the era before 64 bit and windows 7, but it worked before this update. It's gone and hidden to never return!

Stay away from this update!

10. Daveski17

Sadly, these borked updates are becoming all too common with MS now. I'm fairly convinced they're not being as thorough checking updates with any of their OS's pre-Win 8.

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

KB2952664 failed at first, but succeeded when I manually re-installed it.

12. niki

niki Registered Member

Same here JL. I don't trust Windows Update anymore, recently too many times updates failed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.