Update database

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Vietnam Vet, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hello everyone, tried to update, TDS aborted update saying database already up to date. Numbers didn't match Gavin's, so manually updated, everything ok now. Not leaving well enough alone, ran update again and received older update(possibly Friday's?) Manually updated once again, back on track. Don't know if update links to wrong file when autoupdating or if problem on my end. I remember MTM having a similar problem with an update once that he thought was linked to the time difference between his site and DCS location but that is not the case here this time. Perhaps a couple of you could check your own versions and post results back. If it turns out my problem only, will write it off as a windows thing and keep an eye on it. TIA.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Vietnam_Vet! this happens occasionally indeed with ?? reasons unclear.
    In the private forum Gavin posted recently the actual update.cfg so you might like to have a look if you have the same.
    It's good you mention this warning so if you comment the actual URL causing this problem in the private forum they can look what's wrong with which update site if you please!

3. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Funny you should bring that up as there has been some problem today as system initialization failed and radius.td3 reverted to back up. At the same time an update was attempted and it now says i have up to date file which i doubt it is as it shows last update being july 12th :
    15324 references - 4835 primaries/3508 traces/6981 variants/other

I also forgot where i can go to confirm was the numbers are for latest update

UPDATE : Closed/reopend tds and now shows proper database updated july 16th with :
    15413 references - 4870 primaries/3526 traces/7017 variants/other
    That's more like it :D

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

It should show on the TDS web site, but in cases it doesn't show the actual amount there immediately. But the radius manually update from there should be. ... i hope....

5. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Updates were posted in this Forum under "Updates Alert". Today was the first day they are missing o_O
    I had to manually update yesterday. I found it didn't match Gavin's post. Does this mean that TDS-4 is just around the corner? ;)

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

TAG,

Well, one can only update in case new nastie(s) have been discovered and databased ;). Blaming the Black Hats here for being lazy? :cool:

Database updates don't have anything to do with the development from TDS4. As ever: TDS4 is ready when it's ready - patience is a virtue for all TDS users ;).

regards.

paul

7. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Just as follow up, today's update worked fine here as well. Considering TAG97's post, there must have been a problem at the update server. Jooske, I do indeed have the update.cfg you referred to. Downloaded it same day it was posted even though I personally did not have problems before either. Unless some are still having problems, I would think all is well concerning this issue. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Had the same problem on Monday & used the TDS site manually.

Today all is well agian :D, though I did notice that it skipped from server1 to server2

15460 references - 4877 primaries/3544 traces/7039 variants/other]
    11:10:56 [Radius] Radius Systems loaded. <Databases updated 17-07-2002>

It is rumoured that the TDS4 updater will be different ;)

9. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the problems o_O

I have changed the updater config file again, and uploaded it here

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/update.zip

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/update.cfg - this is the SAME file, but not zipped so you can easily see what is there :)

10. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Pilli,
    > It is rumoured that the TDS4 updater will be different.
    You've hooked me in on this one :D. Im very, very happy with how the new database format, used by the RADIUS4 Scan Engine. I was happy with the RADIUS3 database format a few years ago, but I'm <aussie>absolutely bloody stoked</aussie> at the new format. It's much smaller, much more powerful, much more accurate, and allows for much, much faster scanning - every aspect is improved. The physical structure is also different - there's no longer just one file. Just using TDS4 Scanner as an example, you'll start off with the main database file which will accompany the TDS4 Scanner install program, but after installing the scanner you won't be downloading that file ever again - you'll only be download 'delta' updates. It's like appending to your existing databases rather than downloading a whole refreshed database each time - both you the customer, and us the vendor, save a _lot_ of bandwidth! Also, as the delta updates are so small, updating takes very little time. Everyones a winner... :)

PS. If you're reading this and none of it makes sense, relax - the TDS4 Update program handles everything (in fact, as it is protected with RSA to help protect your investment, you won't be able to update TDS4 without using the <highly configurable> Update facility).

Anyway, back to work ... :)

11. bubs

bubs Registered Member

That sounds like a humungous improvement - I wondered why your updates took so long :D

Sorry - couldn't resist - I presume you're talking about encryption keys here - why RSA rather than DSA / DH/DHSS?

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Cheers Wayne, That'l get em talking!

While we're on the subject, will the updater also incorporate other programme changes to TDS basic files that may be necessary over time? i.e New threats & and security updates (revisions). Rather than specific "Version updates" downloaded from DCS?

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

http://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/p/dictionary/slang.html
    We'll need this URL from the Aussie TDS version.......
    Want more of that making it so very specific!

14. controler

controler Guest

Maybe we should stop talking about TDS-4 untill it actualy is realesed
    Just when everybody calms down from waiting paitently for the new release, somebody mentiones it again a rattles everybodys cages LOL
    Where is Blazeo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O??

TDS-4 !!!!!!!!!!!!
    ANTS 3.0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TDS-4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ANTS 3.0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p :p :p :'( :'(

15. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

jump him he's here neby attackl lol tds 4 tds 4 tds 4 tds 4 tds 4 lol picket picket form a chain around galvin lol=)

16. controler

controler Guest

Shall we send out the ATTACK DOGS Blazeo_O :D

RUF RUF RUF GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

17. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Don't worry, he will be the first one to ask about a release date for TDS-5 as soon as TDS-4 is issued ! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.