Update Database/Signatures for Non Internet Connection

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by mant, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mant

mant Registered Member

I cant found the link to manual download signatures database. How to copy/reload/export signatures database to my another PC (not network/internet)?

2. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

I hope and think it will be available again on monday.

3. tetonbob

tetonbob Spyware Fighter

Will you post the info/link in this forum, or this thread, please?

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

5. peter.ewido

They are now available again (for AVG A-S and ewido) :cool:

6. tetonbob

tetonbob Spyware Fighter

Thank you, Peter. :thumb:

7. skojic

skojic Registered Member

Odd, I installed AVG 7.5 7.5.0.47.

Then I tried to install the manual updates (The ones posted this week).

I installed them, however it shows that I never updated my version to 7.5.0.50??

It says updated->Never.

That's odd, because it was working before for the automatic updates.

Currently i'm at 463,194 signatures...

Any idea what's going on? I don't have access to the internet with the computer terminal and the company firewall blocks internet access to the autoupdate feature?

Howcome AVG ain't recognizing my manual install?

I do have the plus version currently, (as supplied by the company as well). However they are individual liscences for key employees.

Anyone know what's going on?

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

ewido\AVG folks will have to confirm this for sure but when it was ewido...."the "Last update" date won't get updated when you use the manual updates, it's the date when the program connected to our servers for the last time".

Bubba

9. skojic

skojic Registered Member

Ok that solves one problem.

How about the problem regarding the current number of signatures or that the wrong version is shown on the right of the main screen?

Are we not up to ....50? As of currently, my version remains at ....47

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

wait if it isn't connected to the internet how can it get spyware in the first place?

11. skojic

skojic Registered Member

Sorry, it is not openly connected to the internet is what I was trying to get at. I am not a DMZ server, I am behind the router and company firewall.

Yes, I do have internet (however it is monitored etc etc etc)

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Perhaps I mis-understood. Did you manually install the database updates or did you install the version 47 to 50 update ?

Also....did you re-boot after installation ?

13. skojic

skojic Registered Member

Hmm, good question.

What I did was I installed the new manual update patch for the definitions of AVG Anti-Spyware.

This is a new section under the updates section (I believe starting from this week)

No I didn't restart my computer.

The program did not tell me to restart for changes to take effect.

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Re-booting is not always necessary and in some cases it is a personal choice. I just out of habit all these years re-boot if it's a program version change which makes me feel better that everything got sorted in the registry properly. If however We're speaking of a database update only....then there should be no need for a total PC re-boot. I just wasn't sure which update you were speaking of.

Bubba

15. peter.ewido

1. The manual updates only include definitions so you will have to download 7.5.0.50 and install it over 47
    2. Yes, as Bubba said, it's normal that Last Update stays red
    3. Why can't you use a proxy for updating?

16. gevin

gevin Registered Member

sometime you internet is gone after you got infected.

I try help my friend which suddenly lost his internet connection, install AVG AS, try to do full scan. Manually update his AVG AS database(which i downlaoded use my pc). But can't comfirm if the update really work or not as AVG AS don't shown any detail. After scanned, caught something, but the internet still down.

But that not the point. Is it better/more useful that the AVG AS should show what the databese detail, but not "when the program connected to our servers for the last time"? Then me & my friend won't argue over if AS updated or not.:mad:

17. PakoAry

PakoAry Registered Member

Via Sneakerware!

With that many CDs, Floppy Disks, MemCards, Flash Drives around, being isolated from the internet doesn't mean one's computer is safe.

I have a similar situation. This particular computer is behind a firewall and users can only send and receive their email (pop3 and smtp). They do not have admin priviledges to "allow" AVGas auto update.

I've downloaded the signatures file in another computer, brought them in via flash drive and extracted them do the signatures folder.

Well,

- How can I tell if my sigs are up to date? (please remember that there's no conection to the internet)

- Would be possible to point to a folder or even my flash drive and have the program update from there (such as with AVG antivirus) - in a way that the "last update" field would reflect the signature file date or db date?

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.