Update asks for password

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by jayt, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayt

jayt Registered Member

I recently downloaded and installed the new 2.12.2 version of Nod32. I had to fill in the User ID and password before I downloaded the file--which is the normal process. Now -and it doesn't happen every time--it is intermittent--when I check on Update now, it asks for my password. After deleting and filling in the User ID and password a few times, it will accept it. Anything I can do to correct this?
    I know that the User ID and password are case sensitive, that is not the problem.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

The Username and Password are CASE SENSITIVE, and as such must be typed in precisely, or better still COPY and PASTE each into the Control Centre\Update\update\Setup

If your UN or PW is typed in incorrectly, it will not update and a window will pop up asking for UN and PW every time.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

3. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Hey Blackspear, thanks for the fast reply, but I did read the faqs at Esset.com before I asked the question. :)
    And it doesn't happen everytime. It is infrequent and intermittent.

4. Blackspear

Can you please send a email to where you purchased your license from, be it support@nod32.com if you purchased of their website, or to the Distributor or Reseller from whom you purchased. Once in a blue moon a UN or PW goes haywire...

5. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Thanks again Blackspear. I will wait a few days and see if the problem re-occurs. If it does I will of course follow your advice. Btw. I did purchase the license off the Esset.com website and I saved a copy of the reply in one of my "stored" folders in one of my web email accounts. So, just to make sure, I went there and copied and pasted the user name and password in Nod32.

I want to tell you how much I really appreciate your efforts in helping people on this forum sort out their problems. Thanks. :)

6. Blackspear

Good idea :D

Excellent, this is what we advise every client to do, a wise practice ;)

Nice to see, it is generally the best solution for entering a UN and PW, just be careful that you don’t also copy a blank space at the end of either, as Nod32 will see this as part of the UN or PW ;)

My pleasure, and thank you for your kind comments…

If you are still having the same problem after a few days let me know, and I’ll see what I can do…

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If it happens only intermittently the only possible reason could be that the data stored in the registry got corrupted for some reason. Should it happen again, export the whole Eset branch from the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eset) and send it to the NOD32 support for analysis.

8. RichA

RichA Guest

I have seen this happen many times on many different machines. It is getting very annoying. It doesnt even pop-up a message when the login fails, which imo it should.

9. john smith

john smith Registered Member

I have had the same problem as the original poster, and I think that this (the inclusion of blank spaces when selecting and copying is the problem) since typing the password in manually usually fixes it.

j.s.

10. Blackspear

If you enter the UN or PW incorrectly and try a manuel update it will pop up a window.

The reason we recommend to COPY and PASTE the UN and PW in, is due to too many people mistaking “0” the number and “o” the letter, “1” the number and “l” (L) the letter. With copy and paste, all you have to do is warn the person to be careful not to “add a space” after the PW when doing so…

11. RichA

RichA Guest

Yep i realise it does it when manually updated, however this is no good if you want to "set it and forget it", which should be a possibility without exposing yourself to Virii.

12. Blackspear

We always recommend checking it, once it's correct, it is set and forget, however we also recommend checking manually at least once a day, just to be sure, you don't want to find there was a problem with updating 3 months ago ;)

13. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Marcos, since it is still happening (and it doesn't matter if I type it in or copy and paste it), could I just uninstall Nod32, delete the registry entry, and then reinstall Nod32? Wouldn't that correct any problem with the registry entry?

14. Blackspear

Hi JayT, can you please go to:

Start
    Run

Type in:
    regedit

Go to:
    Click on the “+” along side HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand the folder
    Click on the “+” along side SOFTWARE to expand the folder
    Right Click on the Eset folder
    Click Export

Export the file to a place you know where it is going, i.e. Desktop or My Documents.

Please send this file to Eset, placing a link to this thread.

This way Eset will be able to see what is going on, and hopefully why...

15. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Blackspear, I know how to do it (export and send registry branch) but if the problem is there, shouldn't what I suggested work? :) Anyway I will send it :)

16. Blackspear

Indeed I believe it will, however it would be nice to see why you are having the problem in the first place, and hopefully Eset can shed a little light on the subject… ;)

Thanks, it is always interesting to see the results… :D

17. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

On computers where I have seen this issue, blanking the username/password and doing an update directly after (which will fail), then entering the username/password will correct the issue without an uninstall/reinstall.

18. Blackspear

Excellent, thanks for that Rumpstah.

19. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Well, just an update on the update problem. I sent the Esset branch from the registry to Nod32 support yesterday and had an answer from them today . Now that is fast response time. They told me that the password in the registry was "really different".
    Anyway, I have unistalled Nod32, deleted the Esset branch from the registry, re-installed Nod32, and the problem seems to have been corrected. :)

My thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem.

20. Blackspear

Glad to see you had a result, thank you for keeping us in the loop.

21. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  22. Blackspear

We install both ways without a problem.

An issue can be found were a client tries to install the UN and PW into the "Pop up Window" instead of within the control center> Update> update> Setup

Hope this helps...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.