Update Alerts / Compassion vs. Coldheartedness -- Part IV

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Stoneheart, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would not have written such harsh words, and although I had a tendency to say yes to only those registering should be able to post, I now think it is a little more than some passing through will want to do, the innocents out there that just want some help... and help "urgently" as their world falls around them...

So, I would say, no, lets keep the place as open as possible, and just keep the eyes peeled for the trolls of this world, they are few, and fairly well far apart…

Just my 2 cents worth…

Cheers :D

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, some members did reply to your question there, however the thread was reported to the moderating team about an hour after you opened it. It just took a while for someone to read the report and act upon it. (We don't work 24x7 here ;) ) But, Nick did post in there (reply #10) asking people to stop holding a discussion in that section.

Well, you did before. In fact, you threaten us. You said you'd spam your message in every forum section if we removed it from Update Alerts. True or not?

Well, you have a point there. Sometimes we assume people already know how this forum works, as it is really no different than most any other online forum that have designated sections for specific subject matter.

Sounds to me like we need a do over here. Many harsh things have been posted in several different threads that perhaps people would like to take back now.

Maybe if you would start a new thread here in General Topics, specifically asking people's opinions regarding how the posting of Update Alerts should work. No harsh comments, just an honest set of questions (ie. whether AV and similar definition updates, which occur very frequently, should all be posted as new topics... and so on.) Then we could have a civil discussion about that without any threats or anyone complaining. We could remove all the previous threads and simply start over from there. Thoughts?

3. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

I believe that the statement of GlobalForce is a very good one.

I feel that I made a mistake by starting the first topic in a somewhat ironic/sarcastic manner which probably insulted those people who are working hard to post all the update alerts.

Moreover, a special responsibility lies with the admins & mods who should be extra careful if they edit, close, move or delete a topic.

4. LowWaterMark

Seems like we're thinking along the same lines. See my reply made just seconds before yours above. Please comment.

5. Blackspear

Nice post Stoneheart, well said...

Cheers :D

6. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

@LowWaterMark

"Seems like we're thinking along the same lines. See my reply made just seconds before yours above. Please comment."

I agree and I think that we should leave the topics like they currently are since this maybe a good lesson for everyone. Maybe it will help people (guests, members and mods/admins) to better understand the sensivities of their fellows.

7. LowWaterMark

Yeah, we can leave this thread and the poll thread, but, we need to remove those threads from Update Alerts, or we aren't living by our own rules.

8. LowWaterMark

9. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

LWM quote,
    This sounds like a really positive direction. My thought's exactly. I'm in favor!

SH quote,
    Well said SH, I never really thought it was in you. We all know our guests can be equally sensitive ;).

Move alert threads - Yes.

Keep key threads to learn from - Yes.

GF

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  10. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

Ok. Ok. But where is Part II and Part III? Have they been deleted again?

These threads included at least one important argument (e.g. that the same update alert was posted multiple times).

11. Blackspear

Give them a sec, they will get on top of it... ;) :D

12. LowWaterMark

And they also contained a lot of other negative baggage, such as your threats against this forum and negative remarks against the moderators of this forum. Wouldn't you rather start a new thread in this section with your specific points, but without all the confrontation elicited by those remarks? Besides, how many threads are we going to require people to read in order to debate the merits of one Update Alert policy. One subject - one thread.

13. GlobalForce

You may want to consider LWM's offer SH, to get rid of the negative baggage. Sounds pretty good to me.

GF

14. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

How about re-opening the first part?

Moreover:

Part II did not include any threats at all.

As regards the negative remarks against the moderators: I think that people should get the whole picture. If they only read what you have left they will certainly believe that I must be completely mad and that the mods did everything right.

Therefore, I would suggest to re-open the first part and then I can attach Part II. What do you think?

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

This is getting confusing ... I'm getting a headache trying to keep track of this all ... :D

Acadia

16. Blackspear

ROFLMAO :D

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

17. LowWaterMark

That's why I'm trying to get it organized and trimming out all the duplicate posts and threads. :doubt:

Actually, that's a good idea since it has been moved out of Update Alerts. We can use that thread for the discussion about Update Alert posting policies since it already has some on-topic replies.

I'm now confused as to what was in part II, so long as what's in it isn't offensive to anyone on a personal level, go ahead and reply to that first thread (once I open it).

18. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi there Stoneheart,

Sorry if you find some of the threads on this Forum a bit of a bind but with all due respect to you if you don't like a Thread then don't go there, if you don't like Wilders Forums don't come here, it's very simple mate, it's not rocket science. As far as I know, and I've been here, I'm pleased to say, for quite a while now, this Forum is OWNED and PAYED for by certain people with good Morals, good Standards and a genuine desire to help all and sundry, it has, and I hope, never will be a democracy, if it where, you would not be considered a minority but a trouble causing insurgent.
    may I also suggest, again with all due respect and not wishing to cause offence, that maybe if your Bank Balance is as big as your Ego, you might just start your very own Forum and run it as a Democracy so that all your members can make the Rules to suit themselves. You could always pop back after a few months to let us know what an abject disaster it was.
    If something as small and piddling as little particular Thread sets you off I would hate to think what you would be like with something Mega in your life.
    Surely, in all honesty, you don't really think the Update Thread is important enough in your life to go to these lengths do you?
    Believe me mate, life's too damn short.............

Very best Wishes to You and Yours Stoneheart,
    Mods: Please delete if out of order.

Cochise, :cool:

19. GlobalForce

Cochise, I'm no mod, but I find your comments on this subject civil and appropriate. Straightforward and to the point.

GF

20. As somebody who has benefited from the advice distributed freely on these forums; I believe it would be a sad day if you were to limit their freedom of use to a restricted group of users.

Just my opinion.

Chris

21. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Cochise, Very well put and to the point exactly!!!:cool:

22. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

@Cochise

In principle, you are right. I went too far.

On the other hand, sometimes the unfairness in this forum can make you angry.

For example, my provocative posting was immediately critized (which is fine). But that did not suffice. The update alert posters also tried to close my topic in order to immediately stop the discussion (which is not that fine or gentlemenlike). Probably, they felt that there is some truth in what I said and, therefore, saw the need to protect their own interests.

Moreover, after things had settled down HayC (who also wrote on 25th, 4:42 PM: "lets start over and start fresh.sign up and lets have some fun!!") felt it necessary to write on 25th, 9:51 PM the following:

"This was not about guest sign on's or deleting post!!
    It actually was just a simple request by a fine update poster
    to 'please' follow the rules and post accordingly.

[Comment: In fact, the request was not to discuss the topic in a different forum but to not discuss it at all. Nick said: "Would every member here please refrain from any further posting to this thread". Moreover, please note that the TOS were not violated by any of the comments posted in this thread.]

that all nothing else!!
    then it was turned into a pissin match because that poster made threats and could not handle the truth.
    He now has an agenda just to troll and spam and stir the pot"

Of course, noboday has complained about HayC's statement. And of course, nobody has edited it (although it may violate the TOS).

Exactly the same applies to many other threads which are closed/deleted or manipulated so that it looks that certain people (software developers, moderators, registered posters) look better than they really are. That's why people sometimes get angry.

But I agree, I went too far.

23. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Sorry Stoneheart but you don't have to explain yourself to me, I've read everything you've said and as for what you say made you angry, well I'm afraid that won't wash either, from what I can see you where already angry before you got here!.

If I may, I would just like to put your arguement into perspective, I assume you have friends so let's also assume you visit their home, would you get angry because you didn't like the colour of their curtains??!!.....would you spend the evening trying to convince them that they annoyed you and therefore they should change them to suit you?.....would you describe them as 'Undemocratic' if they told you to clear off?.....
    Just thought that scenario might clear your way of thinking......

Of course it would be nice if everything in life could be changed to suit ourselves but I'm afraid it doesn't always work out that way.

I personally don't care if Posters register or not, it's of no consequence, the more the merrier I say (With emphasis on the merrier bit :D ) but I would object to Posters swanning in from nowhere with their own Agenda and a big stick.

When I joined Wilders I agreed to abide by the Rules and that didn't mean just the ones I liked...........Dropping in to Wilders and bringing Attitude does'nt work here.......

Cheers to All, Cochise, :cool:

24. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

@Stone
    Yes I said this after you would not let it GO!!
    and I still see days after you still wont!!
    @Cochise,Again very well put!!
    When your in someone elses house have some respect and then eat a little crow and move on and up!!
    Stone, I am willing to let it all go, if you can move on??!!
    As far as updates section there are rules to abide by and usually they are.
    Some folks make mistakes and learn from them some DON'T.

In closing I to have had many a thread closed and removed(politics u know)
    did not make me mad because 'Wilders' had and still has rules on the subject matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.