Update Alerts / Compassion vs. Coldheartedness -- Part IV

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Stoneheart, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

The following relates to this topic:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=49026

I am sorry to do this but the "unique" habits of this forum leave me no choice. Since you always prematurely close/delete what you do not like I have decided that I will simply disregard unreasonable moderator decisions.

~ no need to repost it all ~ LWM

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2004
  2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You absolutely have a choice, that being to not use this forum. If you don't like how the Update Alerts are handled here, then use the updates thread at some other well posted security forum (there's a good one at DSLR - Security).

As for disregarding moderator decisions... oh come on! That is just plain wrong and you are in violation of our TOS for doing that, and for posting the same topic over and over when the moderators closed and/or removed the previous threads. You have no specific right to challenge the decisions of this forum's management or to even use this forum.

As for some questions you asked, such as trying to find a macromedia update or sorting update alerts alphabetically, you can easily do both of those yourself.

You can sort the threads into alphabetical order by thread title or thread starter by clicking on either the "Thread / Thread Starter" links (which are clickable in the normal subforum index view) when viewing the subforum index. And I just entered the word macromedia in the search line and selected Update Alerts as the forum to search and got the image below.

As for the Update Alerts section, I think it is running really well. It is kept current and many people use it without problem.

Attached Files:

3. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

@Tassie, Bubba, Lowwatermark

Don't get me wrong. Although I do not like people posting the same update alert multiple times and thereby spamming the update alerts forum I absolutely agree that it is not me who has to decide whether this is right or wrong.

However, I should be allowed to express my opinion on this matter. Since moderators / admins of this forum did not allow me to express my opinion I am now lecturing you:

This forum has benefitted from many users (including me) because this is an open forum. Anybody can post here without registration. This is the key to success.

The major weakness of this forum are some of the moderators / admins who do not know how to properly moderate. Fortunately, this is compensated by the fact that this is an open forum (see above).

I would like you to understand a few things:

Closing or deleting a topic is the "ultima ratio". In real world terms this is aborting a discussion and slap someone right into his/her face. You should only do this if it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. If you constantly abuse your powers people will revolt and hit you back. That's what I am doing now. In the future I will spam this entire forum with topics unreasonably closed by mods / admins (no matter whether it is my own topic or someone else's topic). The only way to prevent this is to make this a closed forum ...

As regards the TOS: unfortunately, you do not have a clear & fair TOS. You are constantly playing tricks, create new "unwritten" rules etc. I am fed up with this and I will hit back now. Close this forum and you will get rid of me (and get a boring community). Or leave this this forum open and handle it in a democratic manner. You simply need to understand that your primary job is not RULING this community but SERVING this community.

It was an unfair trick by Bubba to remove Part III of this topic: you are trying to stop the discussion by moving it to a "remote area" which is not frequently visited. Therefore, I will post Part III again so that it properly refers to this thread. If you delete Part III I will spam it all over the forum.

Sorry for being that strict. But I feel that it will benefit this forum which I do not perceive as your property or something like that.

4. LowWaterMark

Obviously, you are nothing but a troll then. Threatening to spam an entire forum? What gives you that right? This is a privately funded forum, not some publicly funded trust. Who are you to break the rules? Why should you have such a right?

5. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

Because this is an open forum. Close it. Then you can rule it in an undemocratic manner.

As regards the funding: if you really need money I will donate.

6. LowWaterMark

Actually, perhaps it is time to debate whether or not we should allow guest based postings here. The question comes up every now and then, and certainly the above helps to support one side of the argument.

Other people's thoughts?

7. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

NOT, that would be a very incorrect statement!!!
    Stonedheart, Your problem and I am sure you have had this for quite
    sometime, Is you have a real hard time following 'directions'.
    Following rules and so on and so on.........am I correct??

8. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

No More Guest's!!!! Out With The Trash!!!

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I agree.

10. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

Why not? Try it out and close this community. You have already many many users. I do not believe that this community will quickly die. I will take some time until it gets boring because innovative & strange users like me will post somewhere else.

But please note: one thing does not work. You cannot pretend that this is a democratic forum and, at the same time, unfairly edit/close/delete postings so that it looks as if you were right and the bad "guests" are wrong. Sooner or later people will get fed up with such unfair manipulations.

11. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

StonedHeart!!!
    Give it up!! If you were not such a jerk to Nick( who by the way is my bro...so dont go there)
    when he tried to help you, YOU would not be in this jam!!
    your a Mut!! thats all go play somewheres else

12. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Not looking to make waves here, but personally I feel the freedom for guests to post there opinions offers some good insight that may not be available from within so long as the TOS are adhered to. Commentary on the structure of the forums is open for reasonable discussion, provided the tempo is constructive, as I'm sure you LWM may agree.

The activity of welcome guests here at Wilders can occasionally be viewed as "troll-like", due mostly in part to infrequency, as manners are minded on the whole. It's just that when a thread like this starts up, some people take it personal and get
    all hot under the collar, and there's NO need for it!

In my readings, guests have provided valuble additions in topics covering quite a broad range of subject matter,
    also posting alerts and helpful tips.

IMO, and I'm entitled to it, I favor "Open Forum!"

GF

13. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Agreed?? but it can also be done just as well when they/him/her sign on(more personable)

14. Stonehearts

Stonehearts Guest

@hay

"StonedHeart!!!
    Give it up!! If you were not such a jerk to Nick( who by the way is my bro...so dont go there)
    when he tried to help you, YOU would not be in this jam!!"

Why was I a jerk to Nick? What did I say? And how did he try to help me?? Honestly, I do not understand what you try to tell me. I have not personally attacked Nick. And he did not try to help me.

Maybe I was impersonated?? I cannot rule this out because it's hard to tell what the moderators have edited/deleted.

Please be assured that I have not specific prejudices against anybody here. I am merely criticising certain things which happen in this forum (like unfairly editing topics etc.). Moreover, it's human to make mistakes. Therefore, I would never condemn a person because of a single mistake.

Again, I have nothing against your brother Nick and I am completely puzzled why I was "a jerk to him".

15. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Conspiracy theory eh!!
    Paranoia huh?? well now lets see.those dont work anymore.
    Maybe.just maybe if you read the rules before posting these feeling would subside...........

16. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

Conspiracy or not. Doesn't matter.

I think the most important thing is whether I was a jerk to your brother. I do not like being a jerk. And I am very sorry if I had insulted him. Please tell me what's going on.

17. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

you may have not insulted him with typed words and i only speak for myself on this.but nick asked i believe twice to stop posting in updates when your post were not following the rules!!!
    you should have read the rules and then you would not have become a 'jerk'. which may have been a little harsh on your part..so for that i am sorry!!
    but for gods sake man,this is really so worthless that we/you and me have come to this!!
    lets start over and start fresh.sign up and lets have some fun!!

18. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Stoneman what do say..new start
    new day......?

19. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

@hay

No problem. I am absolutely not interested in making other people feel bad.

Moreover, I could imagine that my initial topic may have insulted a some people because I said that people are posting these signature update alerts because they are bored.

I guess this was a little bit too candid. But it was not meant to insult people. Many people are internet addicts (me included) ... ;-)

20. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

No not bored.Just dedicated Individuals that enjoy
    helping out others!!
    Now enouh said,for now...? I have to go post updates at the usual stops
    hehehehehehe.....Muhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.WooT

21. Brent

Brent Registered Member

Get rid of Guests.

22. LowWaterMark

Indeed, Hayc is correct. The entire problem here is not what you want to talk about Stoneheart, it's that you insist about talking about it in the Update Alerts section. But simply put, that subforum is not for discussions. It's for posting new alerts, that's all. But you threaten to spam us if we remove your thread from that section.

The posting policy for Update Alerts has been the same for more than two years now, although I did post a new version of that policy last December, it is the same policy just with updated examples.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=17362

Hardly. The General Topics section is at the top of the forum and is very highly accessed. It is also where discussions regarding the forum, its policies and so forth are held.

Where did we say this was a democratic forum? Things are not decided here by votes, though in this thread I did ask people for their opinions, just to hear the different viewpoints since you brought the subject up. But in the end, I'll make the decision about guest postings.

23. dog

dog Guest

Hi LWM, ;)

Just so not to double post, but this discussion has all become a little disjointed ... I posted my opinion here --> Guest sign on's , if you are still interested?

dog - *puppy*

24. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

"Indeed, Hayc is correct. The entire problem here is not what you want to talk about Stoneheart, it's that you insist about talking about it in the Update Alerts section. But simply put, that subforum is not for discussions. It's for posting new alerts, that's all. But you threaten to spam us if we remove your thread from that section."

No. That's absolutely not true. Initially, noone complained that the FIRST posting was posted in the wrong forum. This discussion did not start until the FIRST thread was closed (for other reasons) and the SECOND thread was opened.

I do NOT insist to talk about this issue in the Update Alerts Section. However, it was unfairl to close the topic WITHOUT telling people where they can continue the discussion. You should have linked to the general section before closing the topic in order to not suppress the discussion.

25. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Not getting personal, but how the post will be taken on the other end is something I've had to learn the hard way.
    I've made plenty of poor decisions concerning my choice of words, a condition we as humans all face.

But these days, in an attempt to refine my posts, I spend just a little more time with the preview, reading it through,
    trying to make sure it's going to be tolerable, for the other end. Like someone has just mentioned, I don't feel it's
    anyone's intention to be derogatory, though with a few questionable words thrown in.....

I have no ill words for our guest, though you have probably delved the pages of this thread,
    feel free.....https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11108

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.