Update 1.396 causing major slowdown

Discussion in 'NOD32 Early v2 Beta' started by Phil, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Today's update is causing a major slowdown in all apps. Browsers, for instance. With AMON disabled, both IE and Phoenix load almost instantly -- less than 1 second. With AMON enabled, either browser takes from 6 to 8 seconds to load. This is happening across ALL applications, web-based or not. Some are MUCH slower to load than normal, depending on the number of files accessed on load. This is a PITA

Information on installed NOD32 Antivirus System
    Version:   1.396 (20030417)
    Virus signature database build:   3602

Information on installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP - base
    Version:   1.199.14
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP - Internet support
    Version:   1.199.15
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP - NOD32 On-demand Scanner

Operating system information
    Platform:   Windows XP
    Version:   5.1.2600 Service Pack 1
    Version of common control components:   5.82.2800
    RAM:   512 MB

2. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I've only just managed to get the update, but I did notice it was ( I think ) an engine update o_O which I presume was an update to the main engine of the proggy, going to do some tests with reference to the above and see if I too am affected.

Edit* Well I haven't tried a restart but everything runs fine here so far.

Information on installed NOD32 Antivirus System
    Version:   1.396 (20030417)
    Virus signature database build:   3602

Information on installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP - base
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP - Internet support
    Version:   1.199.15
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP - NOD32 On-demand Scanner

Operating system information
    Platform:   Windows XP
    Version:   5.1.2600
    Version of common control components:   5.82.2600
    RAM:   448 MB
    Processor:   AMD Duron(tm) Processor (757 MHz)

3. Phil

Phil Registered Member

The problem is getting worse. It is taking 15-20 seconds just to load a Word doc with AMON enabled. With AMON disabled, the load is instant. I'm going to try an un/reinstall. <sigh>

Phil

4. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Reinstall did not help. It was not the update because the problem is there after the new install and before the update. There has been no other software added to this machine. This is getting tiresome. Hey, Jan -- HELP!

If anything, it is getting worse. It took Phoenix 21 seconds to load. Disabled AMON and it took 2 seconds. Every single file access is affected.

HEY, JAN -- H-E-L-P!!!!

Phil

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Phil - Just trying to walk through the time line and events here...

Was NOD working okay previously? In your first post it sounded like it might have been fine, but, with the update it slowed everything down. But, you deinstalled and installed just the NOD kit, no update, and it's still slow when NOD is running...

Was anything else updated or installed on your system around the same time as the NOD update noted in your first post? (I know turning NOD off resolves the slowdown, but, just in case it's also the result of a new conflict, it might be nice to know if something else changed.)

A long shot here, but, there is another thing out recently that has caused major system slowdowns for some people: Microsoft Windows Update patch Q811493 (MS03-013). Did you happen to get that recently?

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Some off-topic side-notes:

The non-beta version with the latest def's update caused no extra delay on my W 98 SE, as far as I can tell.
    But I know, that you were not referring to the non-beta version, and to XP.

On my version the only changed files were:
    Nod32.000 and nod32.ver
    I have added almost all the NOD32 files both to the database of NISFileCheck and to the CRCfiles.txt file of TDS-3.
    In that way I am easily "alerted" in case a NOD32-file is changed when I run NISFileCheck or the CRC32-check in TDS-3.

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

It has nothing to do with NOD32! MS screwed again! Uninstall Security Update Q811493 and your system should be back to normal.

Technodrome

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Okay, let's cross link this back to the other thread in main NOD32 Forum, as well...

A user there notes that the MS patch above caused the same situation on his machine with the 1.396 of NOD32. If Phil confirms he also loaded Microsoft Windows Update patch Q811493 (MS03-013) recently, then we have the pattern locked.

See:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=8547

9. Phil

Phil Registered Member

OK -- here's what I want you to do. The very next time you drive by a Wal-Mart, stop in and pick up the biggest gold star you can find and put it square in the middle of your forehead. :D

That was the culprit. Damn MS. I recalled reading a note from BugTraq about that issue but I had set it aside to investigate later. Then I promptly forgot about it. I uninstalled the patch and everything *seems* back to normal. Damn MS *and* the horse they rode in on.

It is interesting the only time my system was affected was when AMON was enabled. <shrug> I'm glad I found out about it here because the info may prove useful to the ESET guys.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! I owe you big time. ;)

Phil

10. Technodrome

I just installed this patch (using different AV) and it slowed down my system(IE, Phoenix, Word and everything else). This could be it!

Technodrome

11. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Yep -- dead on target! Maybe MS was just trying to take my mind off tax day. :D

Thanks, guys!!
    Phil

12. Technodrome

:D

Technodrome

13. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Glad you got it pinned down Phil, I tend to stay away from M$crosoft updates for at least a week and havent installed this update, I think I'll pass on this one ;)

But good news its all sorted.

14. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Yeah same problem here, after installing MS update noticed a massive slowing of opening programs, it also caused my nVidia driver to become corrupt, pushed it into safemode and found windows getting stuck on loading nVidia driver, installed new version and back to normal speed :D

15. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi all,

being pretty busy here I realized you guys solved the problem by yourselves - yes - pls. uninstall the Microsoft Windows Update patch Q811493 (MS03-013).

Thanks, :)

jan

16. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

17. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have kept ALL MS updates as well as Beta 4 and everything is working perfectly now (after installing new nVidia driver)

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.