Unwanted "features" in 4.2.40.0

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by E-Buzz, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Im not really sure i like this new 4.2.40.0 version of ESS. Some strange behavior never seen before occured after upgrading to that version.

My two IMAP mail accounts all of a sudden was "enriched" with new "directories" or whatever it is, called ESET Antispam. They can not be removed and error message says something about "Deletion of special folder Junk is not allowed for IMAP accounts." Notice i have the antispam feature turned off in ESS.

Second, the other dudes using the same IMAP account reports that the Inbox contains "shadow" copys of every mail after my upgrade to 4.2.40.0. I cant see them myself but they can. By "shadow" copy means the email subject is like "greyed out".

Third, my mail client Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0.4 started to act really strange after upgrade. It goes into some kind of frantic compacting/indexing mode every time it polls the mailboxes on my different accounts. When this occurs the application becomes unusable. It lasts for 10-15 seconds and after that its OK again. Does it have anything to do with the creation of the two ESET Antispam directories mentioned above?

Conclusion is, the new version sports a few unwanted "features" not seen before.

Windows7 x64 Ultimate, fully activated and 100% up to date.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

When scanning received email on IMAP accounts, a copy of the email is created, all necessary modifications made and the original email is removed on the server. If the original email cannot be removed (e.g. the IMAP server doesn't allow it for whatever reason), it's left as a "shadow" (greyed out). What IMAP server is running on the server you connect to? As a workaround, you could disable scanning of received email and leave only scanning of read email enabled.

The antispam folder is created with antispam protection and integration with TB is enabled providing that the spam folder is not defined in your IMAP account configuration.

3. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Thank you Marcos, i´ve disabled scanning of received mail for now as my IMAP server (i dont know what kind it is) obviously dont allow deleting of original messages.

I´ve also configured Thunderbird to put junk mail in a local folder instead of putting it on the server. Hopefully that will allow me to delete the "ESET Antispam" thingie from the mail server.

EDIT: No, the ESET Antispam" folders are still impossible to delete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.