Unsuccessful Trial of NOD32 V 4

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by RAD, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Vista Home Premium with SP1
    Previously using AVG free, with no problems.

Completely removed AVG, downloaded and installed NOD32.

First scan seemed to work OK. Updates seemed to go OK.
    #1: Then, I noticed that the integration with Windows Mail was scrambling the toolbar text at the top of that application. So I searched through the Advanced Setup features of NOD32 and turned integration off (unchecked it).
    #2: Later, I had numerous odd freezes, perhaps associated with the computer's sleep mode. I would set a scan running, and come back in about 20 min. to a sleeping computer. But upon trying to awaken it, the screen would go to faded white and all would be frozen. The Vista "thinking circle" would still be spinning at the cursr position. The first time, I just let it think for a couple hours before shutting down via forced shutdown (cut power)...the task manager and everything was frozen.

Another time, I had completed a scan prior to putting the computer to sleep manually, and when I came back to wake it, it went into a similar freeze mode as soon as I opened the NOD32 control screen.

I went through all the Advanced Setup options to see if there were some settings that looked "safer", but just ebnded up trying various settings at random. I continued to have incidents of odd freezup.

Anyway, after the last incident, I became frustrated and completely uninstalled NOD32. All odd behavior has disappeared. I have not reinstalled any antivirus yet.

Sorry I don't have more details. I hope this serves either as a warning to others, or a motivation for ESET to fix their problems. The program did not impress me.

Other software I am running that NOD32 could have problems with (although none of these others exhibited odd behavior):
    NTI Shadow 4
    PerfectDisk 10
    Paragon Drive Backup 8.51
    PKZip
    Microsoft LifeCam

2. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Update: I restored a pre-NOD32 hard drive image, and it had my old install of AVG free on it. So I wrang the computer out in every way I could think of, with none of the wonky behavior returning.

It seems to definitely be the NOD32 V4 and/or its intraction with my computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.