Unlocker safe?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by imperium, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imperium

imperium Registered Member

Hi folks, I recently downloaded a program called Unlocker and installed it but received a few Zone Alarm alerts regarding its drivers. Here is the log:

OSFW,2007/03/05,22:23:00 +0:00 GMT,UNKNOWN(0),UNLOCKER1.8.5.EXE,C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\New User\MY DOCUMENTS\UNLOCKER1.8.5.EXE,DRIVER,CREATE,SRC,UNLOCKERDRIVER5
    OSFW,2007/03/05,22:23:12 +0:00 GMT,UNKNOWN(0),UNLOCKERASSISTANT.EXE,C:\PROGRAM FILES\Unlocker\UNLOCKERASSISTANT.EXE,EXECUTION,GLOBALWINDOWSHOOK,SRC
    OSFW,2007/03/05,22:24:46 +0:00 GMT,UNKNOWN(0),A~NSISu_.exe,C:\Documents and Settings\New User\Local Settings\Temp\A~NSISu_.exe,MESSAGE,Unknown Sub Event(3),DST,C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe
    OSFW,2007/03/05,22:25:02 +0:00 GMT,UNKNOWN(0),UNLOCKER1.8.5.EXE,C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\New User\MY DOCUMENTS\UNLOCKER1.8.5.EXE,DRIVER,CREATE,SRC,UNLOCKERDRIVER5
    OSFW,2007/03/05,22:25:06 +0:00 GMT,UNKNOWN(0),UNLOCKERASSISTANT.EXE,C:\PROGRAM FILES\Unlocker\UNLOCKERASSISTANT.EXE,EXECUTION,GLOBALWINDOWSHOOK,SRC
    OSFW,2007/03/05,22:42:14 +0:00 GMT,UNKNOWN(0),Unlocker.exe,C:\PROGRAM FILES\Unlocker\Unlocker.exe,DRIVER,LOAD,SRC,\Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\UnlockerDriver5
    PE,2007/03/05,22:42:18 +0:00 GMT,Unlocker.exe,C:\PROGRAM FILES\Unlocker\Unlocker.exe,209.172.57.40:53,N/A
    OSFW,2007/03/06,19:45:00 +0:00 GMT,UNKNOWN(0),Unlocker.exe,C:\PROGRAM FILES\Unlocker\Unlocker.exe,DRIVER,LOAD,SRC,\Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\UnlockerDriver5
    PE,2007/03/06,19:45:26 +0:00 GMT,Unlocker.exe,C:\PROGRAM FILES\Unlocker\Unlocker.exe,213.123.84.216:53,N/A

I have heard many good things about this software and don't suspect it of being malware but because of these Alerts have to remain cautious. Are these drivers and processes safe to allow. Any information greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I used unlocker before and had no issues. After seeing your post, reminding myself of reinstalling again. I d/l newest version 1.85. During its installation, I did receive two alerts from ZASS(ZA Pro is its firewall component), asking permission to install its driver and modification by its unlockerassistant.exe. I oked both. I run prevx1, AVG AS plus and SAS realtime, they did not alert me. I guess unlocker is probably a safe app to use.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

4. imperium

imperium Registered Member

:thumb: Thanks guys.

5. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

because of the nature of the ap it needs to tie in at a pretty low level to terminate other applications or system processes, thus it will show up in any HIPS or other security ap monitoring driver\kernel level access\installation.

Its really useful though because of the RClick shell integration and is generally one of the first shell extensions I load on an install ;)

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

It's a real annoyance at times when even a folder with no files refuses to let go of Explorer, so UnLocker is very good to cut those strings.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It is a great app. You just have to be aware of what it is doing. The DLL in KAV that puts their logo on the welcome screen is tied into winlogin.exe. I had a bad uninstall and couldn't get rid of the dll even in safe mode. Unlocker did the job just fine, but windows really took it personally. Only time I've ever seen a blue screen that simply said "Windows is unable to function and is shutting down" Pow.:D

8. Ice_Czar

yet another example of the great advantages a small parallel install holds
    especially when monkeying with sensitive system files ;)

Unlocker can allow you to do a great many things, but hacking the ntoskrnl.exe isnt one of them :p
    Im surprised it allowed you to turn loose winlogin.exe :thumb:

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thanks for this application. Seems a keeper.
    What does it not do and what program completes it? *puppy*

10. Ice_Czar

some system files and dynamic link libraries are simply unaccessible\uneditable when the OS is running, Unlocker will generally allow you to turn loose anything that can be, but does have limits. Those files need to be edited\deleted from outside the OS, one of the easiest ways is to have a parallel install, another OS install that can see the first and allows you to edit in my first example the NT kernel (ntoskrnl.exe)

while I was referring to hacking system files in order to modify the look feel or function with customization, its equally applicable for say repair or recovery, really handy to simply replace the registry hive on a damaged install (WINNT\System32\config being the original with WINNT\repair being the last known good), or say you suspect a kernel mode rootkit. if you had a backup of the ntoskrnl you could replace it from a parallel install.

11. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I could not rename one of my folders and this program helped me rename it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.