Unlock code not working

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by muf, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

I installed the full version, put the key file in the PE directory. Started PE and it asks for the unlock code. I got my unlock code in the members area under my log in(obviously :D). When i enter the unlock code, the box disappears and PE fails to start. I have enter the unlock code manually and by copying and pasting it.

I have sent an e-mail to DiamondCS but as they are on holiday until 6th Jan i am corncerned they may take a while to answer. Any help here greatly appreaciated.

muf

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Muf, welcome to the forum and with PE!
    Did you reboot after installing PE?

I've seen several DCS teamers aboard so they might have seen your email already in the meantime.

3. muf

muf Registered Member

Hi Jooske and thanks for the welcome :)

Yes, i did reboot after installing. I also did a reboot when the unlock wasn't working. Still no luck :(

Mind you, i'm not surprised as it seem it's all going wrong with this up to now. First i couldn't log into the members area with the password provided in my e-mail. So i used the 'forgot password' and it sent me a completely different password. Now this... :doubt:

muf

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

So it might have compiled a new unlock code -- although i wouldn't expect so. Did you use another email address in the meantime?
    When i copy a password/code anywhere, very often i get the space behind it too (return?) which is not wanted, giving entrance problems.
    But you typed in the unlock code manually (suppose it to be case sensitive) so that point should no more be an issue.
    Can only wait now for the urgent support response :(

5. muf

muf Registered Member

Yes, Same e-mail address. I also downloaded the keyfile from the link provided and used that instead of the one that was attached in my e-mail. But even that one doesn't work. :(

Suppose i'll hang fire until support get back to me. Wormguard only had a licence key to enter. Why all this unlock code nonesense is beyond me since i've already put the licence key in o_O

muf

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

It looks like the database has your correct codes.. please type the code in carefully and make sure you only use capital letters, no numbers. Theres an O in there not a zero :)

The code is to prevent casual theft and copying and it works. Please let us know soon that it was just a typo :oops:

7. muf

muf Registered Member

Gavin, Thanks for the reply. It's not a typo. I did put O(letter) and not 0(number). I have tried capitals and lower case. Still no joy :(

muf

8. muf

muf Registered Member

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall. I will re downlowd the full version to see if i got a corrupt version.

muf

9. muf

muf Registered Member

Uninstalled. Re-downloaded. Installed and extracted key zip file to PE directory. Then ran the pekey.exe file which extracted the key. Then re-booted. Shut down all my applications running. Started PE and entered the unlock code. PE just vanishes. Doesn't load up. Doesn't say unlock code is wrong or anything.

Gavin, can i send you a copy of the key file i got from you with the unlock i am using and you test to see if there is a problem.

I am using Windows ME. Is this newest version compatible. I could try a older version.

muf

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Muf, Sounds like a good idea to send the Key to Gavin for checking but I get the feeling this may not be the answer.

Can you please tell us what other security software you have running?

Windows ME has always had a problem with the TCPIP stack :(

Thanks. Pilli

11. muf

muf Registered Member

Ok, security software.

Kerio PF 2.1.4
    KAV 4.5
    Trojan Hunter 3.7
    Lockjar 2.0 (cookie killer)
    Spy Sweeper 2.2
    Blackice Defender 3.6cbz
    Popup stopper 2.4

I shut all these down when i was trying to run PE just in case any of them conflicted.

muf

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

And all those were also down at installing PE?
    Can't it be the system restore or such a tool is disturbing so nothing there after reboot?
    Not any part was resident running like the TH watchguard or what's it's name again?
    No registry protection?

13. muf

muf Registered Member

Well no they were not inactive when i installed PE. They were all running. I could i suppose re0install when they are not running. You think disabling system restore as well?

muf

14. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hmm, Can you try this if you are happy working in the registry.
    Uninstall PE.

Open regedit and do a Find on Port Explorer - Delete all the keys you can find & then try re-installing PE with nothing else running.

Have the feeling that this is a registry problem and somehow the keys are set wrong.

If you are not happy to do this wait until the key has been verified by Gavin or someone else has another idea - Jason ! :)

15. muf

muf Registered Member

No i am quite happy doing this. Whats the worse that could happen. I have to reformat. I have a drive image from the 28th :)

Thing is i had no problem running the demo version :doubt:

muf

16. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Muf, I think it may be the the uninstall of the trial version that left something in the registry that is causing a problem but it is only a guess :)

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

In that case i would try to uninstall with the uninstall file in the directory, make sure there is no capture.bin in there and maybe log files after that, just empty except for maybe the keyfile if you didn't put that in a safe copy elsewhere too.

I'm not sure in which registrey keys the PE could be; when i'm there i also sit quiet and if i don't know i do nothing there. Only touching the + and - to open and close folders and looking around.

I suppose by now the evaluation version was uninstalled either by yourself or by the installer - reboot was asked and after install the full version, right?

Wondering how the situation would be in case there is some registry issue and the 28th december drive image was installed first --if you don't lose too much with that-- in case you're sure that was a real clean working siotuation. You might like to make a manually system restore point from that situation too, in case a system restore is quicker if needed.

With that, make really sure all the other stuff is really closed before installing again.
    PE goes really deep into our systems, this is why it really asks everything to be really free so it can install unharmed nor blocked by nothing.
    After your reboot you should be able to run nicely again.
    If so, make a new system restore point from there.

If this is not ok either, might be necessary to run LSPfix to get some things clear.

18. muf

muf Registered Member

I'd love to say it worked. But no :(

I closed everything down and even used PrcView to make sure nothing was running other than essential system files. Re-installed and re-booted. Closed them all down again :doubt: and then put the key in the PE directory, and then re-booted. I then closed everything down...yet again(in my startup), and i then started PE and it asked for the unlock code. I entered it and it just dies. Nothing, not even a message to say 'Sorry, wrong unlock code - Please try again'.

I have does a capture using a program called filemon and i will send it if it will help.

muf

19. muf

muf Registered Member

Wanted to modify my post but getting error.

I was going to say that after uninstalling PE i went through my registry and deleted all Port Explorer references. Even the one's for PE evaluation.

muf

20. muf

muf Registered Member

Ok, I did another test. I have a second pc which i do not use. I keep it as back up in case this one goes to pot. It's 2 years old with Windows 95. Not even got a modem connected to it.

Anyway, I installed PE on it to see if it works. I have never had PE on this pc, not even evaluation. Anyway, the same happens. I enter the unlock code and it just dies. I have now uninstalled it from my old pc as it was for test purposes only and is useless on that system with no net connection(Please don't sue me if i'm not supposed to put it on 2 pc's as i was only doing it for a test).

muf

21. blevit

blevit Registered Member

hello port to explorer code not working I have the same problem that Author it has
    please help :oops:

22. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Celso,

Let's start from the beginning, in fact I think I'll split your post off to a separate thread so we don't confuse the things muf has tried versus what you've tried (edit: well, maybe not)...

First, you uninstalled the evaluation version of PE from your PC; you went to the members area at the DCS Port Explorer website and downloaded the full version of PE; and then installed that on your system, correct?

Next, before running the new version of PE, you extracted the "port.pkf" file from the port.zip that came in your license email, and placed that port.pkf file in the PE folder, correct?

When you first run PE with that license file in place, it asked for your unlock code which you got from the members area at the PE website, note that the unlock code is not in the email, you get it when you've used the login and password from the email to sign into the members area.

I just want to be sure that this is exactly what you've done, otherwise we aren't all on the same page.

23. muf

muf Registered Member

Yes, that is exactly correct.

muf

edit: And as i said i tried it on my other pc(win 95) just to see. and it does exactly the same on that one too.

24. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

If you've done everything that LowWaterMark suggested it could be an incorrect code possibly sent out from us, either that or your port.pkf file is corrupted. If it's the first case you may have to wait till we resume work again (we worked today that's why the license's were sent out) which will be on the 6th.

-Jason-

25. blevit

blevit Registered Member

yes i do as you say and not working

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.