Unlocatable file

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by daviidneylon, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daviidneylon

daviidneylon Registered Member

I did re-install the os. Aside from some initial mouse problems, everything seems to work (although I haven't re-tried the scan), and the vanishing icon and taskbar problem regretably remains.

2. daviidneylon

I re-installed the o/s last night. There were some initial problems with the mouse, but everything seems to work ok. I un-installed the ewido and Kaspersky s/w I had downloaded (for some reason the Kaspersky s/w blocked Outlook Express from connecting to my mail server at Network solutions; after I un-installed the Kaspersky s/w Outlook Express worked fine).

I re-tried the Windows file scan. Every time that program encounters a file, it asks for the disk so it can copy the file into a dll cache. I strongly suspect that every file is not corrupted, especially after having just re-installed the o/s.

I'm going to pursue two avenues in parallel:

1. Write a description of the problem and the steps so far and post it on the boards you gave me (including this one, I hope, no offense, but this string has not been viewed by many people and perhaps some one has a clue to this puzzle), and

2. Install the HJT s/w and sees where that leads us.

Lastly, a huge "thank you" for your help and assistance. I appreciate enormously that you are willing to donate your time and knowledge to help a complete stranger. If we solve this, I promise to post the experience on each of these boards in the hope that we can help some other folks unfortunate enough to be experiencing this bizzare condition.

d.

3. daviidneylon

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I have had a peek at your log, but it would be most inappropriate for me to comment on it here, other than to say that it is not clean and therefore you should wait until it has been dealt with before considering other avenues.

I have no idea how long it will take to attend to, because there are always so many logs to deal with, so you may need to be a little bit patient, but I'm sure the matter will be resolved in due course.

5. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

1.Can you see the icons and task bar in the safe mode ?

2.Can you see them if you create another user on your PC (besides the profile you are now using) in the Windows mode ?

If you see them in the safe mode as in 1. above..maybe you have some things set for hidden.

IN THE SAFE MODE ..can you do any of the following ?:

Can you right click on the taskbar in the safe mode , go to properties, and uncheck "Hide inactive icons".

Can you Right click on the blank desktop; then clicked on "Arrange icons by"; then scrolled down to "Show desktop icons

Do you have your desktop set for "Classic Desktop"

People can also hide their taskbar and move it. If you right-click on your taskbar and choose Properties, you'll discover an option for "Auto-Hide." Turning on auto-hide means that the taskbar stays out of sight unless you mouse over it, at which point, it pops up and is visible. However, people can also click, hold, and drag their taskbar to another part of the screen so that it is positioned on any one of the other sides of the monitor. If you combine that with auto-hide, users will be positive that their computer doesn't work when, in fact, it is perfectly fine.

Can you turn that auto hide off ?

see also

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/l0806/39l06/39l06.asp

When you reinstall windows over an existing versions already on your PC..all your personal settings you have in your user profile will still be there..

when you reformat and then reinstall after you have save copies of your personal files and programs you want to keep by backin them up many ways..then you will really have a clean slate..but not the way you are doing it now..hope you get it fixed rahter than taking the deep plunge .

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  6. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

did you also use any other tool there at F-secure like their nimda tool ??

The SHELLFIX.REG file is used to fix Explorer startup problems
    resulted from unconditional termination of F-Nimda tool during
    its operation.

If F-Nimda tool is terminated by a user or operating system while
    it is scanning a hard disk, there will be no icons and no taskbar
    on Windows desktop. To fix the problem you will have to run the
    SHELLFIX.REG file.

You can execute this file on an affected NT-based systems
    (Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP) from Task Manager.
    Please follow these instructions:

1. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL

2. Select 'Task Manager'

3. Select 'File' menu

4. Select 'New Task'

5. In the opened dialog window input the path to the SHELLFIX.REG
    file, for example if the file is on a diskette, input
    'A:\SHELLFIX.REG' (without quotes) and press 'Enter'

6. Windows will ask you if you want to add information from the
    REG file to the Registry, answer 'Yes'

7. Restart your system and the problem will be solved.

If the problem occurs on Windows 9x-based system (Windows 95, 98
    and ME), boot from a system diskette and copy the SHELLFIX.REG
    file to the program autostartup folder which in default Windows
    9x installation is:

c:\windows\start menu\programs\startup

After Windows starts, it will ask you to confirm adding the REG
    file information to the Registry, answer 'Yes'. Restart a system
    and the problem will be solved. After restart please delete the
    SHELLFIX.REG file from programs autostartup folder as it is no
    longer needed.

For more information please contact F-Secure Viruslab at
    <samples@f-secure.com>.

ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.txt

Download the fix...

ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.reg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.