Unknown replys to sent emails- HELP

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by soxfan, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soxfan

soxfan Registered Member

I am currently having a problem with a hacker. This person is replying back to emails that I never sent them. I send most of my mail BCC so I only have one sent email with any addresses that might lead me to the culprit. This makes me unsure if they can read all my mail or just the ones I have sent to a computer that they are using. The replies are from people I do not know and by backtracking, they are obviously hijacked addreses.from law firms, schools and companies. The messages are always “cute” and refer to something in the email. I have contacted Comcast about this and they believe it is a virus. Viruses don’t reply with funny messages about the contents of the email.

About a year ago I had no anti-virus and only XP firewall protection for a month. I contacted Bugbear and Hooker viruses, then got NAV and the program found them. I also just got VCOM System Suite a few days ago and it finds nothing.

A few ways that I think someone is goofing around would be-

1. My old company had a tech come out to my PC and load it with software to let me communicate with their databases. When I was let go they never uninstalled their software. With my limited computer knowledge I don’t know if they can see my mail somehow. One of the email replies is from that company, which is supported by EDS. The company is large so it could be chance.
    2. Someone I am sending it to has a hacker that can see their computer messages and they know how to fake a reply. Most of the people I sent to don't have someone who has computer skills good enough to do this at the computer but some may have a "watcher" who got into their system.
    3. Back when I had only the XP firewall someone may have opened a back door that allowed them to roll with my NAV and still get to my sent messages. Unlikely.
    4. Someone at Comcast is getting their jollies from doing this because I changed my password immediately after the first message and the replies kept coming. No one has physical access to my passwords or PC. Also unlikely.
    5. A backdoor may have been opened when I had Hooker or Bugbear. Unlikely that nothing would have taken place for a year.

This is getting a little scary not knowing if this person can see all my online activity and makes me nervous about purchasing anything online. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi soxfan :)

U could follow the instructions here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

then post your HijackThis log in the hijack cleaning forum with a full description of your problem and one of the experts will give u recommendations on any Malware found.

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.