Universal Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by deanp, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deanp

deanp Registered Member

So your telling me that with your Universal Restore option program I can take an image of say Windows Server 2003 running on say a Dell Server with a raid card running the hard drives to say an HP server with it's own brand of raid card running the hard drives and when I boot the image up it will "just work".

I don't believe it.

How in the world would it even begin to know what driver ( or version of that driver ) to use with all the particular versions of the hardware that determine what driver you need to use ?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello deanp,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Software.

Please note that Acronis Universal Restore allows you to choose drivers for your hardware when you are restoring. So you will not get a compatibility issues.
    If you will not use Acronis Universal Restore when restoring on another hardware there is an opportunity to get system unbootable because you are not asked for drivers.

You can learn more about Universal Restore from user's guide:
    http://download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImageEnterpriseServer9.1_ug.en.pdf

Thank you
    --
    Alexander Gladkov

3. guruuno

guruuno Registered Member

HOW shall the 'drivers' be made available during the restore, as I have tried, and after about 5 hours, a 60 gb hd with 8 gb data failed.

That is to say, via network share, or OEM CD, what 'specific' process (and where is is described/outlined) is to be followed to have a successful 'Universal Restore;......and how does one prepare for this type of scenerio, having what files/drivers, available, where, how are they 'input', or otherwise provided for the process.

4. deanp

deanp Registered Member

I just read the section on Universal Restore in the manual. This Universal Restore thing is kind of a gimmick. What it does is try to match the hard drive interface on the new machine and find a built in driver for it. If there is no built in driver then you can "manually" install one just as you do when you press F6 during windows setup and install one. The drivers are obtained from the manufacturers web site just as they always have been.

If you are doing a transfer from one IDE machine to another at home you may not have a problem because IDE is so generic but I would NOT attempt this with a critical machine or a business machine.

I would also NEVER use this for a server. For a server do a Swing migration.

5. guruuno

guruuno Registered Member

You say, "For a server do a Swing migration."

Just what is that specifically? Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.