universal restore, virtual machines, dual boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mape, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mape

mape Registered Member

During a project transition, I need to transfer some special machines into a Virtual Machine on our site.
    The machines, i`ve to transfer are hosting 2 operating systems on it (Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP), and a data partition:

Local Disk:
    Partition C: (primary Partition, Windows 2000)
    Partition D: (Windows XP)
    Partition Q: (Data, NTFS)

From the remote office, I got 3 Acronis images for these 3 partitions.

I tried several things, but i only managed it to get Windows 2000 working within the Virtual machine, using Universal Restore when recovering. I always failed to get Windows XP additionally running in the Virtual machine. Objective is to get the machine running in the Virtual machine with 3 partitions and 2 operating systems.

What is the best way to get this complex dual-boot machine working in a virtual machine?

thx

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mape,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that the steps to create the partition with Window XP operating system on it is basically the same as with Windows 2000. As the "hardware" on the virtual computer is different it is recommended to use Acronis Universal Restore during the restoration of the image. We would also recommend you to prepare you current Windows installation for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article. Please note that you might need to correct the boot.ini file and fix Master Boot Record (MBR).

You might also find this thread useful.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.