Universal Restore - reboots while booting

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Reaps, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reaps

Reaps Registered Member

Hi,

I have made successfull backup/restore with 2003 SBS in the past after moving to different hardware.

However, I have also made backups of drives which don't work too. While I go to do a Universal Restore from one set of hardware to another. Windows boots, the logo scrolls... screen goes blank after loading and then reboots.

Could you give me an idea why this happens? What I dont seem to grasp is why some restores work and some dont. I've probably made 3-4 test restores today for testing and its not 100%.

As a side note: I backup to a USB HDD. (all backups and restores are made to this.)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  2. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

normally windows tries to initialize the video card and keyboard and mouse. Once I could make the restore work with a first "safe mode boot" after the restore. Another time the problem was an AGP-Chipset driver or the nvidia driver...i uninstalled both and everything worked.

Just a couple of suggestions..

Volker

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Reaps,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify whether the image contains a partition with Windows operating system? It is preferred that image contains entire source disk.

Please also let us know whether the partition with operating system is restored from the image or the image is restored completely (in case it was taken from the entire hard drive).

Please remember that if you manually select drivers/HAL to be used with Acronis Universal Restore, then the auto detected drivers are not used. So, in case you select the drivers which are incorrect, Acronis Universal Restore will still use, and system will not boot as a result.

Please also clarify if there had been any errors during the restoration process. If so, then please try to create a new backup restore it once again.

If none of these tips help then please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

4. Reaps

Reaps Registered Member

Hi there,

The backup contained the entire disk. The image was restored completely, overwriting all partitions. Nothing was forced and we were prompted for ServeRaid Controller driver which we supplied. We have also tried forcing it and we have also tried specifying a location. All of these end with the same result. Windows reboots itself while it tries to boot itself up.
    I have not seen an option to specify a HAL, could you please tell me where this option is?
    There were no errors during the backup or the restore process. The same image restores back onto the same machine successfully. Any help greatfully received.

Thanks

Extra Info: Source machine is an IBM x225 Destination machine is an IBM x226. I have tried various tips as found else where on this forum but to no avail.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Reaps,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis Universal Restore automatically detects if the HAL should be change.

Please boot the computer from a Windows installation CD, hit F6 when prompted and check out whether the drivers work there. If they do not (the RAID/HDD is not detected), then get the latest version of the drivers (e.g. from the vendor's Web site).

If the problem still persists, please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility on the "healthy" computer;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot your restored server from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best in order to resolve the problem under consideration as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  6. tradican

tradican Registered Member

Can you boot in safe mode? If not, you may have bad memory - something that can cause seemingly unexplainable problems. Try booting with the reboot on error option disabled (F8 in startup). Then use that error code to do a google search, or simply post it in this forum.

I'm not POSITIVE those steps will work in Windows Server 2003, but XP is built on mostly the same technology, so it may.

I have tried Universal Restore in the past, and never had luck with it. It seems like there are too many variables for something like that to work.

You can also try a repair install of Windows if all else fails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.