'Universal Restore' - questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MrMorse, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Hello all,

The 'UniversalRestore' (UR) sounds as a good possibility to avoid a fully new install of Windows.

In serveral threads I heard from this...and cannot believe it.
    (I could believe that UR can do it on similar architectured machines)

Why I cannot believe:

1. During the WinOS install the setup procedure check all hardware. If there is a CPU without SSE-support (e.g.) the WinOS works without this support later.
    That is no problem but: If you use UR to transfer this NON-SSE-installation to a PC with a SSE-CPU I doubt that UR can get it flawlessly working.
    Working already. But not with SSE1/2/3. SSE is not installable additionally.

2. e.g.: The architecture (CPU, etc) is complete different from a PC on which I want to restore with UR. There are A LOT of marks in the registry of the prior architecture that it is amazing that UR can cope with that.
    I'm not convinced about that because I doubt that UR changes the registry thoroughly (if generally).

3. A de-install of drivers (chipset, Graphics, Sound, Q'n'Q[AMD], etc) are not enough to clone the OS from one PC to annother (with a different architecture). It CAN work but it is not guaranteed...

Can anybody here confirm that UR works flawlessly in all the three cases I mentioned?

2. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

Simply put; the existing drivers will still be brought to the new machines but Windows will no utilize them if it detects that it is not compatible with the newly detected hardware. You still require to install the drivers manually once you have booted in Windows.

3. MrMorse

Tomorrow I have 'maintenance'-day in a little shop (car-parts).
    I take 2 spare IDE-hdds with me. There I have two PCs:
    1. AthlonXP 3200+, 512MB RAM, Epox 8K9A2+ MB, nVidia TI4200 graphics, VIA chipsatz
    2. AthlonXP 3200+, 512MB RAM, Abit NF7 MB, ATI 9800pro graphics, nForce2 chipsatz
    (ideal for compare tests)

Attempts (without any internet connections):
    a) Setup PC1 with WinXP/SP2, without any drivers
    b) Create fullbackup, restore it on PC2 and test...
    c) install VIA-drivers on PC1
    d) Create fullbackup, restore it on PC2 and test...
    e) un-install VIA-drivers on PC1
    f) install TI4200 drivers
    g) Create fullbackup, restore it on PC2 and test...
    h) install VIA-drivers on PC1
    i) Create fullbackup, restore it on PC2 and test...

Drivers are all from original CDs delivered with the hardware.
    (results tomorrow...)

4. bilbus

bilbus Registered Member

it works just as discribed, if you keep your acronis upto date you will be able to restore any image to any computer.

I have only had one computer that would not work with universal restore.

i have restored Pentium 2 win2k desktops to Core 2 quad laptops.

5. MrMorse

nice to hear about your experiences.
    Thank you, bilbus.

6. MrMorse

Results:
    - for b): PC2 works
    - for d): PC2 gets BSOD 0x0000007E or 0x0000009C
    - for g): PC2 gets BSOD 0x00000050
    - for i) : no test because g) failed already.

It seems to be wrong. The drivers have impact to WinXP/SP2.

But there are cases where it doesn't result in problems... (but not for me.)

7. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

I c... hmm haven't really tried those but;

I was able to restore a PC with all installed drivers and their utilities into a different hardware without any problems.

I backed up my office Acer laptop with all drivers and programs installed in C and restored it into an IBM thinkpad with no BSOD problems several times already.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  8. MrMorse

hi NumLock,

I believe that. I heard same experiences by others.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MrMorse,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Acronis Universal Restore is indeed designed specifically for the purpose of restoring of an operating system to a different hardware than the one it was originally installed on. I may recommend you to check chapter 3.7 "Acronis Universal Restore" of Acronis True Image Echo Workstation User's Guide for some details on it's functionality.

I would recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image Echo Workstation to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

Please also be aware that the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is not available on Acronis web site. In order to obtain the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore please contact Acronis Support Team. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide your personal information (full name; phone number along with the area code; company name, if any) along with the link to this thread. We'll provide you with the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.