Universal restore question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kidtriton, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kidtriton

kidtriton Registered Member

I have a question about universal restore that is not addressed in any of the documentation that i have found.

Does universal restore have to be actually installed on a system that is being imaged before an image that you want to universally restore is made? I have 12 production servers that I have pushed the 9.1 enterprise agent out to, and I have bought one universal restore license to experiment with to see if it's worth buying it for all 12. On the one test servers I installed the universal restore package on, I created the bootable CD media with the universal restore on it. It looks like I can use the universal restore feature on any image I have of that server whether the image was made before I installed universal restore or after. Or will the universal restore only be successful on the images that I have made of that server since I installed the univ. restore package?

What I am getting at here is if i decide to use this with all 12 of my production servers, I want to keep the installed software to a minimum on them (for obvious reasons on a production server). But at the same time I would hate to make the CD media with the universal restore option and then find out later during an emergency that the image I made will not universally restore because the actual product was not running on the server when the image was created.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The bootable CD media with UR is all you need plus you have to have the drivers for the destination system available during the restore process.

3. kidtriton

So to just be 100% sure, I can buy 12 copies of UR for my servers, but only install it on one test server, burn the boot media to CD, and never actuall install UR on any of my production servers? And I will be able to universally restore any or all of those production servers at any time?

Thanks for the reply DwnNdrty, im not doubting you, but i'd really like to hear this from an Acronis Support person, so Acronis, please reply.

4. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Don't hold your breath!

5. DwnNdrty

Be nice now ... it's Friday. :D :D

6. kidtriton

It's just a little discouraging when you see your post making its way to the second page of the forum while the first page of the forum is filling up with posts from Acronis Support......

Or when your post asking for help sits between other posts that were anwsered by Acronis Support........

Attached Files:

7. DwnNdrty

Well let's give you a bump back to the first page. :cool:
    The bootable CD you created is independent of the computer that created it.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kidtriton,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD is Linux based and has it's own assortment of drivers for the wide variety of modern hardware. In other words, it does not depend on the hardware configuration of the system it was created on.
    Please also notice that Acronis Universal Restore doesn't have to be installed on the system being imaged to use that image with Acronis Universal Restore bootable media.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.