Universal Restore help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SeanFL, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeanFL

SeanFL Registered Member

I have TI Workstation 9.1, plus Universal restore.

Yesterday I started transferring a computer to new hardware. TI Restore (from the cd) seemed to take a very long time with external usb or internal sata... it said about 2 hours for a 6 gig image. I let it run overnight.

This morning when I came in, it said "restore complete". Rebooted and windows starts to boot and hangs at the blue windows xp screen. The HD makes some noise from time to time (I assume it's finding drivers). After it hangs here for 15 or so minutes with no drive activity, I've been hard rebooting it...I've had some success in the past doing that.

Now I've done that about 10 times. Any ideas?

I didn't have paths to drivers for universal restore to dig into...so I'm waiting for it to boot fully, then I'll add some drivers to get it happy.

Thank you for any help. I'm hoping to get this machine up and running soon. Sean

2. SeanFL

SeanFL Registered Member

any ideas on where I should try to stick the driver files to get this thing to boot? Is it the .sys files I need to move? I found most of them after expanding the files on another system...do I put them into windows/system32 or somewhere near?

I'm willing to try a few things before having to re-install everything. Thanks.

Sean

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello SeanFL,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that using Acronis Universal Restore to restore the system to a different hardware you can manually provide the necessary drivers for mass storage devices (such as a SCSI, RAID, or Fibre Channel adapter) or use automatic option to search for HAL and mass storage drivers. When using automatic option Acronis Universal Restore searches the Windows default driver storage folders (in the image being restored) for HAL and mass storage device drivers and installs drivers that better fit the target hardware. The Windows default driver storage folders are determined in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current version\DevicePath. Generally, it is WINDOWS/inf folder.

Please also notice that the system recovered by Acronis Universal Restore may not boot or malfunction if the partition structure of the source and target disk does not match. To avoid the problem, we recommend that you image and restore the entire system disk.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in conjunction with Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation in chapter 3.7 "Acronis Universal Restore" in the Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.