Universal Restore DOESN'T install drivers!!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by djxtreme, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djxtreme

djxtreme Registered Member

OK - five days after beginning this backup/ universal restoration project...

The computer just completed the universal restore...starting Windows XP Pro.

Strange - it's asking me for the video driver. But I already pointed to it before beginning the universal restore...

Hmmm stranger...it's now asking me for the network driver. But I already pointed to it before beginning the universal restore...

Now the USB Hub...

Now the audio controller...

Now I'm restarting Windows...

Windows starts and seems to run well. Thanks to True Image but NO THANKS to Universal Restore which seems to have done nothing!

Seems to me Universal Restore doesn't do anything.

Anyone else find this to be the case?

2. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

Is't the Universal Restore for mass storage drivers only?

As long as you can boot your computer, you're ok...

3. djxtreme

I don't know what you mean by that - yes I can boot the computer, but Universal Restore did not install any drivers even though I pointed directly to them. I am just fortunate that the computer did start - no thanks to universal restore.

4. TonioRoffo

That's what I mean:

The drivers you point at during restore, that's only for mass storage drivers. You need to take care of the rest later - that's how I understand Universal Restore.

All you need for a system to boot is the right HAL and the right driver in CriticalDeviceDatabase in the system registry - that's what the Univeral Restore magic does - translating .INF files in registry entries & writing the .sys drivers in the right place.

It doesn't take care of other types of drivers I guess.

5. djxtreme

If it doesn't take care of other drivers, then it hasn't earned its salt. The incorrect video driver could cause a BSOD and very often does. The wrong chipset drivers could also cause significant problems and failure to start.

What is really missing is documentation on these products, in addition to accountability.

6. vukodlak75

vukodlak75 Registered Member

I just bought TI 9.1 Workstation and noticed the same thing.
    I specifically pointed to drivers but in the last step (before clicking on "Proceed") It says "Use Operating System Drivers: Yes"
    If I selected certain drivers shouldn't this say "No"?

7. TonioRoffo

You can always boot with F8 and select safe mode - your bluescreening video driver won't even start. The "chipset drivers" that cause the booting problems are the IDE (mass storage) drivers - these are the ones that TI replaces.

The only thing that really keeps a machine from booting in another hardware environment is the CriticalDeviceDatabase drivers (because you need 'm to even get into windows) and the correct HAL. TI fixes these 2 issues, so you can boot windows and take care of the rest.

Everything else than the critical drivers can be bypassed using safe mode.

8. TonioRoffo

Depends. Your present OS mass storage drivers *might* be able to boot windows, but they won't even get loaded by the system if they are not in the critical device registry entry. Acronis gives you the choice to use the Microsoft drivers and activate them in the cricital device registry entry, or you can provide your own and boot that way.

Best thing is to always get the drivers yourself - a lot of chipsets have "multiple modes" these days - SATA ports can be pure sata or raid, depending on how you set your bios - the two need different drivers.

9. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

The driver Enforce section is for the MASS Storage drivers OK!
    The second section where you can point for example to a network share here you can put the other drivers like VIDEO.

And the universal restore does work. Because when you chose use "Use Universal Restore" and you don't add any drivers your system will also boot and a lot of drivers have been flushed and must be reinstalled or detected. Without this system your system would even boot.

SO it does work only you have to provide the drivers at the right section

;-)

ENJOY!

als be sure to have build 3568 of Universal restore. Its te latest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.