Universal Restore and Home

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Gary Morin, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Morin

Gary Morin Registered Member

I’m aware that Universal Restore can only be installed with a machine running TI workstation. But can a Universal Restore boot CD restore an Images generated by TI home 10.

Looking at the difference between the two versions, the only thing that interests me in Workstation is that you can also install Universal Restore. So would it make sense to purchase one TI Workstation with Universal Restore and then a number of TI homes?

Thanks

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If I understand the method of operation and licensing it wouldn't make sense. Even though you have an image created by Home you would be using Workstation and Universal Restore on that machine to do the restore which would mean that you need a Workstation/UR license for it.

3. Gary Morin

Gary Morin Registered Member

This is where I’m confused, I understand if you have TI workstation on your computer you will be able to install universal restore, which will then allow you to create a boot CD.

The boot CD can be used on any machine, that’s the point of it. Now not having not used universal restore, I think when you boot from the CD you load drivers which means you will be able to see the device on which a backup image resides and then restore, so my original question was, if the image was produced by TI 10 Home will universal restore work with it or does it only recognise images created with TI 9 Workstation?

Does this make sense?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

From the Acronis site:

Preparation
    Step 1: Install the Acronis Universal Restore option. Please note that Acronis True Image 9.1 must be licensed and installed for Acronis True Image Universal Restore to function.

Step 2: Create bootable media with the Universal Restore option selected.

Now you are ready to replace any system!

Restoration with Acronis Universal Restore
    You can restore an image to a new system in 5 easy steps.

Step 1: Boot your replacement system with the bootable media you created and select Recovery in the Acronis True Image menu
    Step 2: Select the image to restore and the Acronis Universal Restore option
    Step 3: Acronis Universal Restore initiates the restore process ...

You need to create a bootable media with the UR option selected and you use this media with the UR to recover. The fact that the program is on a bootable media that can be carried to various machines does not remove the requirement to have a license for any machine it is being used on.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Gary Morin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that seekforever is correct. According to Acronis License Policy you need to purchase one copy of the product for every computer it will be used to manage.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.