Universal recovery Q

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dobbelina, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobbelina

dobbelina Registered Member

Would this scenario work ?
    I'm updating my computer that's got an simple ide harddisk to a
    new computer with sata.

1. I copy the sata driver (un compressed) and put it in a folder named "Driver" in the C: root (on my ide computer).

2.I edit the DevicePath in the registry like this:
    %SystemRoot%\inf;C:\Driver

3. I image the ide computer and restore the image to the new sata comp.

Would this work, I mean will "Universal restore" find the driver and install it
    from the image ?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dobbelina,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, when you use Acronis Universal Restore to restore the image, it allows you to browse the necessary driver.

We do not recommend you to edit Registry key in order to use Acronis Universal Restore.

Please find the detailed information on how to use Acronis True Image and Acronis Universal Restore in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  3. dobbelina

So you mean it works ?
    You did not recommend to do it this way, but is there any other way
    to actually load sata drivers directly from the image ?
    From the manual, This seems the only possible solution as the image itself
    is not "browseable".
    My goal would be to install a SATA/SCSI drivers pack that contains a whole
    array of different manufacturers, thereby making the image truly universal.
    It's important I know if I can do this or not, or my purpose for buying
    this utility would be greatly diminished.
    Also, I would like a clarification, the HAL drivers, are they all included in the
    Universal restore application ?
    The reason i'm asking is, cause from what I understand, the only HAL avaliable on a normal installation would be the one for that machine type.
    All the others are on the XP installation CD.
    Could you please explain that, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  4. Acronis Support

Hello dobbelina,

Please note that Acronis Universal Restore uses three sources for drivers search: the list of user-specified (enforced) drivers, driver repository, and the Windows default driver storage folders (in the image being restored).

You will be able to load Sata driver from the image as such drivers store in the Windows default driver storage folders which are included in the backup.
    The Windows default driver storage folders are determined in the registry key SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current version -> DevicePath. Generally, it is WINDOWS/inf folder.

Please note that if no appropriate drivers are found, you will be prompted to browse the following locations for the drivers:
    -Network share drive;
    -Floppy disk;
    -CD drive.

Yes, HAL drivers are included into Acronis Universal Restore application.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. dobbelina

Ok, many thanks for your reply.

6. imagegeek

imagegeek Registered Member

I'm sorry to say but loading drivers directly from the image doesn't work !.
    I have tested to load the VMware scsi driver by adding it to a folder and editing
    the devicepath accordingly.It blue screen's in 8 out of 10 of my test images.

My tests were carried out in VMware v5.5 with a fresh XP sp2 installation.
    None of the oem drivers were applied before the test.
    All of the images were created/restored with ATI 9.1 v3.534 workstation +UR from bootable CD.
    All imaging was done to the D: drive as destination, as it's usually the most reliable and fast way to do it.
    What is interesting to note, is that in the 8 failed images, the vmscsi.sys file can be found in the system32/drivers folder, so UR obviously found and installed the driver.
    But the system registry hive is corrupted !
    I know this cause i've browsed the restored image (that bluescreens) with BartPE afterwards.
    Only 2 out of 10, of all the images I created actually worked ?

There's obviously some major bug in the software somewhere.
    Not sure if it's the UR plugin or the TI itself that's the cause of this ?
    I'd think twice about purchasing it, before these problems have been ironed out.
    Would be interesting to know why 2 of my images created actually worked ?
    Perhaps your technical department is aware of this problems, if they aren't, please let them comment on this post.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  7. Acronis Support

Hello imagegeek,

Please note that if the virtual hard drive uses SCSI controller, you should provide appropriate drivers while performing system restore to the virtual machine. For example, the widespread VMware environment requires Buslogic or LSI logic drivers. Use drivers bundled with your virtual machine software or download the latest drivers versions from the software manufacturer website.

We do not recommend to edit DevicePath in the registry, it would be better to browse the following locations for the drivers during the restoration :
    -Network share drive;
    -Floppy disk;
    -CD drive.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation and Acronis Universal Restore in the respective User's Guide.

If that does not help, please submit a request for technical support. Provide the information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. imagegeek

But that is exactly what I did. the provided buslogic driver is the one I was using.
    Despite of that it still gives me the bsod in 8 out of 10 images ?

As I said above, 2 of the images restored correctly while 8 didn't.
    The 2 that did work, had the devicepath edited, pointing to a folder location where
    the VMware driver was located.
    Ex:%SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemRoot%\Driver

In each of the failed images the system registry hive gets corrupted.
    Why is this ?

Editing the devicepath is the only reasonable way to add extra drivers to an image if you want to make it truly universal.
    Some drivers have similar filenames and therefore has to be in a subfolder.
    These subfolders has to be specified in the device path or windows wont
    search them for drivers !
    By adding drivers to the existing image there wouldn't be any need to load drivers
    from Network share drive;Floppy disk; CD drive etc
    Just make one image and go with it.

I even tested to put the VM ware driver directly into the inf folder once,
    (without editing the devicepath), that image bluescreens to.

In the manual to UR it says:
    If the UR doesn't find an appropriate driver to restore, there will be a pop-up stating the fact that "driver was not found", and give the pci vendor number for the device in question.
    That doesn't happen in my images.
    They all restore to completion with the message "image restored successfully".
    UR finds the driver, installs it, then something obviously goes wrong....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  9. Acronis Support

Hello imagegeek,

Please download and install the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

If the problem still persists, could you please provide us with the detailed information about your test images? Please tell us whether your 10 images have been created with the same configuration. What is the size of your images? Where do you store them?

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the detailed information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We should investigate the reason why you can restore only 2 images or forward that issue to our Development Team.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

10. imagegeek

Yes, I will do that, thankyou.

11. djxtreme

djxtreme Registered Member

I experienced the exact same thing as another poster who said, "If the UR doesn't find an appropriate driver to restore, there will be a pop-up stating the fact that "driver was not found", and give the pci vendor number for the device in question. That doesn't happen in my images. They all restore to completion with the message "image restored successfully"."

My image restored completely WITHOUT any prompts. But when I boot the system with the restored drive, I get a BSOD (blue screen of death).

When I try to use the Universal Restore boot CD specifically, I get the 'Acronis Bootable Agent' and it says, "Now you can connect this computer remotely...".

Why do I need to connect it remotely to use the Universal Restoreo_O Why won't it simply allow me to restore the image and prompt me for drivers if necessaryo_O

This is NOT how this product was marketed to work! It's confusing and doesn't seem to allow me to restore an image to another computer.

12. Acronis Support

Hello djxtreme,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took that led you to this issue. Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

13. djxtreme

djxtreme Registered Member

Yesterday after the problems I experienced, I downloaded the update of Acronis True Image Workstation and Universal Restore. I created a new boot CD.

Then I booted and selected Full with Universal Restore. While this time it appeared to work as it should, it still did not prompt me for any drivers at all.

Windows XP Pro started, and Windows prompted me for drivers. I had to direct it to the drivers for network, video, sound, USB, etc.

Why wasn't this done BEFORE Windows started up? I thought the U.R. was supposed to prompt me for the location of the drivers...

So if that's the case, why even have U.R.? Isn't it supposed to install drivers and if it can't find them prompt me for the location of them?

Anyway, after rebooting I got the BSOD and the system won't start.

Today I am trying to restore an image I created AFTER I downloaded the updates of TI and UR. Note, I created the prior image using the version I upgraded to in March.

I also specifically added the location of the drivers so U.R. should have absolutely no trouble finding drivers (that is if it even looks for them!).

I feel like a beta tester! I don't mind being a beta tester, but shouldn't I get something for the 1-1/2 days given to the project? And another day today to restore (and cross my fingers that it will work).

Not a great way to spend my Easter weekend :(:blink:

14. dobbelina

You do understand that UR only restores SCSI/SATA and HAL drivers ?
    network, video, sound, USB, etc wont be installed by this app, as they aren't
    essential for a sucessfull boot.

If you add the location to your drivers in the sourcepath, windows will automatically install them after it has booted up.
    There seems however, that there are issues with UR installing SCSI/SATA
    drivers that has been added to the devicepath.
    If your destination hardware uses a SCSI/SATA driver, and you have added it to the image prior of making it.(and added them to the devicepath), and it
    bluescreens for you, then you're basically having the same problem as "Imagegeek" who has also posted in this thread.
    I'll keep my purchase on ice until I know this works.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.