Univeral Restore will not launch

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by onclejean, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onclejean

onclejean Registered Member

I have recently upgraded from True Iamge 9.0 (modified to TI Home by subsequent free upgrades to T I Work Station 9.1.
    I wanted to get VSS (shadow copy) to work and to get the apparently highly desirable Universal Restore tool.

As to VSS, Shadow Copy now works fine

However Universal Restore is a failure so far
    I cannot get it to work after several attempts. Before using it on a client I tried testing on my PC by restoring the System drive to an identical back up drive (a copy of the system made with CasparXP overnightl every day. For the test I formatted the disk which was healthy and active).
    The bootable Media is a CD with Work Station, Disk Director and Agent present).
    I have had no problem with normal restores in the past using True Image.
    The Work Station bootable disk loaded up OK .
    I selected the Univeral Restore and designated an image on my third disk which is reserved for archives anddesignated the destination my empty second disk. After a about 30 seconds Acronis rebooted the computer with out doing anything.
    I do see in the help file a note that the Universal Restore must be switched on but no indication of what that means or how to do it if it is somethning required in the bootable media creation.
    What should I do? is it possible to test UR on a single?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello onclejean,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that when Acronis Universal Restore is installed it automatically icorporates into the current Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation installation adding the corresponding option to the Recovery wizard. If Acronis Universal Restore is installed it is automatically included into the Bootable Rescue Media as well. In other words, you do not need to select any special options in order to include Acronis Universal Restore into Bootable Rescue Media. You can find the explanation on how Acronis Universal Restore works along with the detailed instructions on how it can be used in sections 2.1.4, 3.7, 6.3.9, 7.3.11 and 7.4.6 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (371:cool: of both Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation and Acronis Universal Restore (it is obligatory for them to be of the same build) which are available for downloading in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number either by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window or by right-clicking on the product installation file in Windows Explorer, going to it's 'Properties' and looking through the 'Version' tab.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3718.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your computer from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then please also try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help either then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

- Let us know when the computer reboots exactly.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the sysinfo.txt file and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.