Unity most popular among Ubuntu users

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

My wife never was into computers and knows almost nothing about them other than a bit of surfing for her art work, she still gets messed up making bookmarks...haha.

Anyhoo she would always bug me to do the computing for her and one day she bugged me when I was working on something and I flipped ! I said that's it, time for you to have your own laptop and do it yourself babe, time to learn....:argh:

When Ubuntu 11.10 came out I installed it on my Thinkpad T-61 and gave it to her. She's been on that laptop every night since and has only ask 2 questions, the password and if she had an AV, told her the password and said you don't need an AV. Last night I heard a familiar sound so I asked what the heck are you doing ? she said playing Super Tux...I said how did you get Super Tux and she said clicked on this folder and it has all kinds of stuff..LoL she had 15 games installed :blink:

Sorry for the drag out but there you have it, complete computing noob-Ubuntu 11.10-ahh my life is nice and peaceful now :cool:

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

When I'm on another PC, I miss the Unity panel! I haven't tweaked it other than to reduce the icon size from the default to the minimum setting.

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Being the default, its a result I would of expected.

A lot of the problems I have with Gnome-Shell and Unity are more to do with Gnome3 (compared to Gnome2) being too dumbed down.
    What is wrong with hiding the options that are too complex/useless for newbies on an advanced tab or similar, keep them out of the way, but don't remove them.

5. Technical

Technical Registered Member

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

At the recent UDS, mention was made about the lack of configurability and a promise was made to address that soon. Apparently, the focus was on stability rather than configurability. I don't like editing .css and .ini files to tweak appearances and I hope that that promise is fulfilled. (There's also the burden of gtk-2 and gtk-3 co-existing.)

Also, there's been GNOME 3, and Ubuntu can't help but being affected by changes.

(Some of the comments are informative as well.)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  7. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Thanks vasa1 :)
    Hoping we get the configurability back soon.

8. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

:argh: . Funny! Your wife sounds like my wife. You must love her very much by the way you write. Nice.

Later...

9. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

In case of my wife its further, Linux or no PC. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.