Unique AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ChrisTek, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisTek

ChrisTek Registered Member

Understand that some of these AVs being marketed use technology from each other (particularly engines), so like to ask...

Which AVs are uniquely their own development and does well via independent testing?

Would like to test drive AVs that's truly different, not just in name and/or GUI. Particularly interested in very low footprint models, since this ancient computer just doesn't have the pep of a quad!

Started off with F-Prot when it was the only contender in the early 90s (still have the 1996 version installed on the old 286), and tried some others through the years (AVG being the last one) -- but AVG really slowed boot time to over 20 seconds, and even boot optimized, it crawled for over 2 minutes to load everything (my system isn't that slow, as once it's removed, boot time is restored to less than 10 secs from BIOS).

Heads up?

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

drweb develop all their own technologys, not even 'copys' of someone elses technology which alot do, but call it their own.

even since, the first AV to create a free online scan of a file, or a link checker.

nowadays, its the new shield componant, which is integrated into the scanner, which works EXTREMELY well against Rootkits, in both detection and removal.

3. ChrisTek

Thanks for the quick reply, C.S.J.

Is DrWeb pretty stable? And does it work good, in particular with these new games (which require too many ports open and downloaded content...cough...BF2142...cough)? I'm not into the DMZ route, which defeats having a hardware firewall in the first place.

4. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

All anti-virus are very similar these days. They almost all have a signature based scanner, heuristic engine(s), some kind of behavior module and antispyware.

None are really unique anymore. Almost boring even :p

5. ChrisTek

I like 7-Zip and WinUHA compression software. Each uses a variety of compression technologies, but they're uniquely different. Coded by different folks for a different market, but terribly good at what it does for it's archives.

But that's not the point here. What is, is AV software that is coded from the ground up, not shared.

So far, I learned of one. Surely there's more?

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lets not forget, there are some that although are 'coded from the ground up'. they are merely imitations or basic copies of existing software, not really their own.

Igor Daniloff (that drweb guy :D ) mentioned that there were just 5, and drweb is one of those, but is this true?... i dont know.

drweb have been first in quite a few technologys in the past, and i KNOW this will continue, and best of all... its their own creations.

drweb are an idea company with good developers, who strive on making software as stable as possible, so i am even more curious about V5 and what new things that will bring.

---

i would like to know the others too, it is curious who actually DOES the work, while others benefit from it.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i also wonder who the other 4 are.
    if anyone on this fourm knows please post.
    lodore

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Asking the question this way still won't avoid what I pointed out in the other thread.

ALso since this can't help being an A vs B thread per this policy it is now closed.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.