Uninstalling Windows Media Player and Outlook Express

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I am running on a Win2k pro box (not right now, using 98SE box at the moment) and am wondering, how would I go about uninstalling Windows Media Player and Outlook express like I do in Win98SE? (I've went to add/remove programs, and windows setup, just options to remove the icons..) - I am logged in as adminstrator, but still cannot do it.

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi Comp,

I'm sure other -- and maybe totally different -- answers will be along shortly from others. But from previous threads, plus limited personal experience, I get the impression that both Media Player and OE are so tightly integrated into Win that you can forget about actually uninstalling either one.

About all you can do (that I can think of) is go into the "Access" thing and change the defaults to whatever else you want to use in their place.

Best,
    Mike

3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Thanks, I see that on Win2k Microsoft is forcing people to use more of their products (OE, and WMP), heh, it use to just be IE too... :doubt:

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Comp01. :)

Personal question, but why on earth do you actually want to *remove* them.

Simply blocking them altogether in FW or go to options in WMP and absolutely disable everything you can.

I mean, you obviously want to run another player and email proggies, so simply just installing and running such would be the easiest instead of trying to uninstall imbedded programs by MS.

This in NO way is meant to be a criticism, just baffled by the reason for uninstall of those particular apps instead of simply don't use.

TAS

Attached Files:

• 018.GIF
      018.GIF
      File size:
      6 KB
      Views:
  5. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Actually...

There is an application (I think it's available on Snapfiles, if not then google for it) that uninstalls OE in Win2k. (Doesn't work for any other OS.)

As for WMP, I'm not sure how to help you. On Win98, you can just uninstall it, but I doubt that's the case on Win2k...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.