Uninstalling True Image Trial and reclaiming diskspace

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Black_man, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black_man

Black_man Registered Member

Some time ago I installed the Trial version of Acronis True Image. Due to circumstances it has timed out before I had a chance to look at it properly. I now would like to uninstall and start fresh on another computer which is more suitable for tests. How can I uninstall, get rid of the boot option and finally reclaim the diskspace (partition) that has been set for Acronis?

2. Black_man

Black_man Registered Member

Advice, anyone ...?!

3. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

Are you saying that you can't uninstall it via Start / Settings / Control Panel / Add or Remove?

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Rick,

Unfortunately that won't deactivate the Startup Recovery Manager (SRM) or remove the Secure Zone (SZ) that Black_man has got. He needs to run True Image in order to use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to remove the SZ (and hence also deactivate the SRM) before uninstalling the application.

However, a workaround would be to download the mbrautowrite file (either the self extracting boot floppy creator or the CD ISO) detailed in the Acronis Support Sticky titled <PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST> and use it to reset the Master Boot Record, thereby deactivating the SRM. Then, provided he has a partition management utility (e.g. Disk Director Suite or Partition Magic), he can use that to delete the SZ and recover the unallocated space back to his chosen partition. If not in possession of suitable partitioning software, one could use Windows XP's Computer Management > Disk Management to delete the SZ and create an additional partition in the unallocated space.

Regards

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

When I installed the demo, did it create a SEcure Zone, even tho I did not request the Secure Zone?
    If so, how do I get rid of it?

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Howard,

The SZ is created in one of two ways; via the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard or electing to activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager when there is no SZ already present. If you did neither of these things then there will be no SZ for you to get rid of.

In the event you inadvertently did create a SZ, it must be removed via the Manage Acronis Secure Wizard. This will return the disk space back to your chosen partition and reset the MBR to standard if the Startup Recovery Manager had also been activated.

Regards

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Thanx.

I knew that I didn't create SZ and I do not see any mystery partitions, but I wanted to make sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.