Uninstalling PowerShadow 2.6 & now BLUESCREEN

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Firebytes, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I uninstalled PowerShadow 2.6 from my desktop computer and made sure I wasn't in shadowmode when I did it. I also disabled all security programs beforehand as PS instructions advised. The program said it uninstalled successfully but when I tried to reboot I got a bluescreen of death instead of Windows normal startup. In the bluescreen i got this error "*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C7B528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)" without the quotation marks.

Now I can't boot into "last known good configuration" or "safe mode". I even tried inserting my Windows CD and rebooting to attempt a repair but that didn't work either. Basically I am stuck at the bluescreen. My question for some of you more knowledgeable folks is this.....am I screwed completelyo_O

Is there anything I can do to resolve this or is there anything the computer shop could do, or am I going to have to replace the hard drive and start over?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am presuming you don't have any backup images. You don't need to replace the hard drive, but you might have to reinstall. Where exactly do you get the blue screen.

3. Firebytes

No I don't have backup images for the drive unfortunately. The bluescreen comes up when trying to boot up. I am not sure I can even do a clean install as I can't even get the computer to boot up and recognize the Dell Windows CD when it is in the drive.

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Are you actually booting from CD? Maybe you need to press a key right after power on to change the boot order of the devices.

5. Peter2150

Hmm, this is beginning to sound familiar.

1. Is the Dell CD an actual windows CD or a recovery type disk.
    2. Like Wilbert asked are you actually booting to the CD, and if so what is the failure with it.

3. Who is the manufacturer of your hard drive.
    4. Do you have any special configuration, like Raid 0 or anything that requires loading non standard drivers.

Pete

6. Firebytes

Thanks for the replies wilbertnl and peter2150. It is a Dell restore CD. I finally got it working. Wilbert was right I had to change the boot order to have it boot from the CD first. After that I was able to do a repair install of Windows.

I don't have Raid 0 and and my hard drive just says it is a 120GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM. Any guesses as to why Powershadow tried to kill my computer upon uninstall? Has anyone else had problems uninstalling PS?

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

7. Peter2150

From the symptoms you described my hunch is it messed up the partition table. Quite rude.

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, firebytes: If I remember correctly, after uninstallation of PS, there is high percentage of chance that driver snapshot.sys will be left behind. Upon reboot, system will crash. There are few cures listed in that very lengthy thread "Powder Shadow". Few members have suggested proper methods to get rid of it completely and safely. Of course, only if you are so desired to use it again, otherwise, just treat it as a bad dream. Let The gone be by gone. Have a nice one.

9. Firebytes

Hi Perman,

While PS worked fine when I had it installed I will never install it again. The uninstall nightmare it provided made sure of that. Once bitten twice shy you know. I will stick with Returnil now.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You're well within your rights to dismiss any software that causes such a severe issue when simply uninstalling it.

I venture to determine (based on this same report before) from other users that there is some tight gripping of the snpshot.sys driver which is likely at fault in any of these cases. Now a guru like myself and others can simply probe the registry for Legacy entries which require changing permissions to disaasociate that tight connection with the driver and likely is making for these issues.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled several time PS without issue, but i yet to fully uninstall it, and judging from these type reports occasionally cropping up like this i'm gonna definitely pull the teeth of that driver from it's registry entires (permissions + delete) when that time comes as well as do a Defrag afterwards.

Thanks for the information: Unfortunate some more aggressively coded drivers all can exhibit such issues making for manual removal, and many simply have no clue but expect it's uninstaller to perform that deed. Makes me think they, for whatever reason or purpose (oversight?) leave out some finishing code which shoudn't ever be neglected.

11. Peter2150

Just curious how you'd do that since Firebytes couldn't boot the system at all.

12. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

It's possible that the driver was deleted but the storage volume filter was still left behind in the registry.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thats very likely, of course there could be many other possibilities as well, like hunting for a needle in a haystack.

I have to admit though, perhaps it's drive related or even machine related, those thoughts also come to mind.

At any rate i have uninstalled Power Shadow "Fully" regularly, (i think), and then reinstalled to see if there would be some problem with re-registering it after another member complained it stopped working. Nothing of the sort here for me though, including any uninstall issues. But then, maybe it has to do with how often it's used? I use Power Shadow very sparingly and then only on malware hunts to known laced sites to harvest bugs/virus/rootkits, so i can't in all honesty attest to PS's safety after continuos useage over time.
    Does it eventually fudge the partition table? Maybe, maybe not, perhaps it's a different matter altogether which is caused what happened.
    Also might be another reason why Retunil group decided to tap the MEMORY in place of disk for durability sakes, that has been mentioned before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.