uninstalling norton personal firewall info

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigc73542, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I had norton firewall installed on my computer and it kept screwing up my broadband connection so I decided to remove it but after about five seconds it popped a box up that said the uninstall was corrupted and the uninstall was cancelled. Well about the only thing I could think to do was reinstall over the present install and hope it would fix the uninstall. What happened was a little surprising I put the install disc for the firewall in the drive and it opened up and ask if i wanted to install norton personal firewall so I clicked the install button and another box poped up with one button on it that said uninstall. I clicked on the uninstall button and it started running through the disc removing everything that the disc had previously installed. It took about seven minutes to complete but when it was through I could not find one reference to the norton firewall anywhere on my computer . I looked in the registry and through all of the folders with a search and not one entry remained containing anything pertaining to symantec or norton. The reason I posted this information is because I know how hard it can be to remove norton apps. I am not sure if this will work with norton antivirus or system works but I can't see why it would work on one norton install cd and not all of them. If it will work on norton antivirus like it does on the firewall it sure would make it nice for someone that was trying to remove a symantec product.

bigc

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks for this BigC,
    This was 2004 was it not? I remember you were saying you were working with this a little ways back in time. This is good to know. I had a similar experience with my Norton 2004 AV. It happened so fast and I was so desperate and frustrated by all my other attempts to uninstall the AV that I was not completely sure what exactly happened, but I am almost positive it was like this:

After attempting to uninstall Norton 2004 AV using Add/Remove it kept rebooting system. It may have had a built in uninstaller as well too, but I do not think so, I do not remember no matter same thing reboots. Any way I remember saying "maybe there is something on the disk"; just browsing on disk and found "install" :mad: I either mistakenly clicked it or purposely I do not remember, I was :mad: but just like you, only on the AV, a box did come up with uninstall on it. :eek: :) And just like you, it took a while but work pretty good. I am glad you post this because when my Norton 04 Firewall expires in a four months. I will (attempt to) uninstall it too on my Emachine. ;)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It really surprised me how cleanly it uninstalled ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.