Uninstalling ESET antivirus from Nokia E71 just ruined my phone WIFI

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products Beta' started by smipx013, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smipx013

smipx013 Registered Member

Hi,

I just uninstalled the ESET antivirus beta from my Nokia E71 and now my WLAN no longer works.

When I uninstalled it it asked for a password. The trial license password provided (that I activated it with) did not work nor did my lock password or sim password. I simply pressed enter and it seemed to remove.

The minute I rebooted my phone and tried to make a connection to the WLAN via the web browser it just kept coming up and saying "no connection".

The ONLY way I could get it to work again was to reinstall the ESET antivirus on the phone. Once this was back on the WLAN started to work again.

The problem I have is that I am now stuck with a browser that cannot connect to WLAN (if I uninstall ESET) or a browser that crashes evey other time I use it to browse the internet (the reason I was uninstalling it - see post http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=278763).

I am not a happy man. If I have to hard reset my phone I will be a really really really really unhappy man.

Can someone from ESET please advise how to get this off my phone and keep a working WLANo_O I have googled this and seen other similar reports so I am not alone.

I have posted this in both the "other" forum and the beta forum.

Thanks

2. adrman

adrman Registered Member

I installed the beta on my e71 last night. Although my wifi was untouched, somehow my installation of Profimail was trashed. I uninstalled ESET via the app manager, but Profimail still had no data files associated with it, so I assumed they were lost. I resorted to what you're trying to avoid, performing a factory reset, *#7370#, default unlock code, 12345, and reinstalling a backup from a few days ago. Sorry I can't be of more help.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try the following:
    - install EMS (probably you confisued it with the former Mobile Antivirus)
    - in the menu Settings/Firewall, set “Start after reset” to “No”
    - uninstall EMS

4. smipx013

smipx013 Registered Member

Hi Marcos,

That did the trick. Thanks for that. Shame it does not do it automatically when you uninstall. Also the password request is a little confusing.

Cheers,
    Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.