Uninstalling a program?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dregg Heda, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

I noticed that Ccleaner has its own feature enabling you to uninstall programs on your PC. Should I use this or Vista's own uninstall feature and then follow that up by removing the crap with Ccleaner?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Prudence suggests you first check with the developers recommended procedure before involving third-party utilities.

S

3. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

If program uninstallers would clean up what install I'd be more likely to use them. It seems almost all leave registry entries and folders behind, that's why I use Revo uninstaller.

4. vafan

vafan Registered Member

I agree. I also use Revo Uninstaller. After that i check for left-overs with jv16 PowerTools.

vafan. :)

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I have seen no evidence that the uninstaller in CCleaner does anything other than invoke the registered uninstaller for the program; just like Windows Add/Remove Programs does.

6. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I believe that is correct, although CCleaner populates its uninstall list much faster than Windows own Add/Remove Programs does. CCleaner also offers the options to rename or delete the entries if you should wish to do so.

7. GlobalForce

There any truth in Donewell's advice for avoiding trouble, he mentions an additional Revo "precaution" beyond ;) JR's?

8. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Based on my experience with Revo, he knows what he is talking about. ;)

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

GF, indeed, removal of the BOLD Registry entries only is the key for a full program removal using Revo. If people delete any other entry than the bold, they are in a heap of trouble and that's why I stated: "you need to know what you are doing with the Registry" in that post.

10. GlobalForce

Good! I wanted to have that verified for the folks @ home. To boot I came across some screenshots that cover Donewell's post.

11. Aaron Here

I should add that I have recently discontinued using Revo Uninstaller because of the following:

The additional clean-up that Revo performs (after running the program's uninstaller) often requires quite a bit of effort on the user's part to drill-down and find/delete the embolded entries.

Even after doing the above, a subsequent search often discovers more associated files and registry items that Revo didn't find (not that any uninstaller does a perfect job in that regard).

12. raakii

raakii Registered Member

i use mostly portable programs and use no dedicated uninstaller and buggy reg cleaners since i often go back to a fresh image.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Interesting! Did you find these leftovers after using the Moderate or Advanced setting in Revo? What were the files? Were the leftover Registry items in the LEGACY keys or any other section? Would like to know if you remember them.

EASTER issued a challenge in the thread that GF mentioned and it's true, Revo does not touch the LEGACY keys but as EASTER stated, they are of no threat, just taking up space.

14. Aaron Here

I always used the Advanced mode in order to do as complete a removal as possible, but always found quite a few missed items by searching the reg for the name of the program removed. The missed entries were in various areas of the registry, depending on the particular software that was uninstalled. There also were missed files, usually in the Docs & Settings directory.

Fwiw, I have tried several uninstallers and have never found any to do a perfect job.

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I agree with you there! Thanks for posting back. Take care.

16. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would use Vista's uninstall feature and follow that up with CCleaner.

17. penpots

penpots Registered Member

I use Yamicsoft Vista Manager's smart uninstaller. It finds and cleans lots of leftovers that Ccleaner and Registry Mechanic leave behind. Yamicsoft has an XP Manager also. Free 30 day trial.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  18. hossie

hossie Registered Member

You can clean it up from the registry by deleting the entries from there and then cleaning up the complete folder. Unregister the dlls associated with it and you are done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.