uninstaller

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Arcanez, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You seem to be the one person who likes Revo in this thread so far. As I mentioned earlier, I just installed Revo Pro a day or two ago, and am feeling like I made a mistake per the above posts. What has your experience been with Revo? :)

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Well you didn't make a mistake. Because if anyone would search for "best uninstaller" Revo Uninstaller Pro is the most likely result you would find with many good online reviews. Which is why I bought it....

Since the program works best if it has recorded the installation process of the programs...

1) I decided to format my computer and installed Revo Uninstaller the first thing before any other app or driver

2) I recorded every single installation properly but..

a) Revo Uninstaller recommends that you are not running any application in the background while it is doing the recording.......please tell me HOW?? Some drivers and system components run all the time in the background especially on laptops which have misc. apps/utilities required for the proper functioning of the laptop like hotkeys, etc.

b) Many apps install secondary or other required components whil they are being installed such as the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, etc. and other components

3) Installed Firefox 10 (that was the latest version at the time)

4) Installed Adobe Flash, all my add-ons, configured Firefox settings, logged into all my fav. sites to have the cookies of my login and everything

5) 1 weeks later, Java gets updated to Java 6 Update 30, so I uninstalled Java through the Revo Uninstaller, this was the first time I attempt to use this program and see how well it performs

6) Upon launching firefox, all my add-ons were gone, options reset, login cookies removed

7) Same thing happened to my Thunderbird, everything was lost and I had to spend a lot of time re-configuring Thunderbird

:cool: I emailed tech support telling them about my disappointment and rather than telling me that there might have been an error or try to help me, they immediately issued me with a full refund.

That is great that they don't rip off people...but that tells me one thing........that their app is buggy + they might have had multiple requests about the same issue that they issued me with the refund with no questions asked

Revo Uninstaller...the best Uninstaller out there....yeah right :rolleyes:

If the best uninstaller did such a horrible job while I am a very cautious user and even went the extra mile of formatting my computer to have a clean registry before I use the program....I wouldn't trust installing any uninstaller after this horrible experience

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

To be honest with you I genrally stick to using software's standard uninstaller these days. I'm not particuarly concerned about what's left behind.

However when Revo was first released I used it a lot and it does work very well at finding leftovers. I recently tested Revo and a number of other uninstallers, and in the majority of cases Revo found more leftovers than the others.

The one issue which I've mention previously which applies not only to Revo - is that you need to verify the found leftovers before deleting them as every so often, data from programs other than the one you have uninstalled will be picked - and of course this should not be deleted.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have no experience with using Revo to monitor installations, so I really can't give any input there. But as I have said for finding, leftovers when for installations which have not been monitored, it is the best (but should be used with caution and not blindly accepting every entry it wants to delete).

5. berryracer

Oh I wasn't meaning to comment on you bro....just stating users' experiences and not yours in particular

But at the end of the day, if I have to sit and monitor registry entries of an uninstaller when it tries to uninstall a program...then I'd rather just keep those left overs and not bother with deleting them because as someone said earlier.....leaving the leftovers does no harm to your system but deleting them could damage or break stuff....

Now antivirus programs are a different topic all together as it is vital to get rid of their leftovers... but we have the excellent AppRemover that is made to uninstall antivirus program and does an awesome job at that

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I mainly want to use it to uninstall all traces of Firewall, AV and possibly AS apps so I can install a new one without being told it won't install because it shows the previous app still present, or when an app refuses to uninstall.

7. berryracer

In that case all you need is AppRemover. And it doesn't need to be installed before installing that antivirus, firewall, or security suite. It was made to know what registry entries/files to remove for all antivirus/security suites

Give it a shot, let it scan your system for the security programs, then choose which one you want to uninstall

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks berryracer, I already downloaded it after reading about it here. Like I said earlier, I wish I hadn't bought the Revo now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.