uninstaller that monitors registry

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Incognito, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incognito

Incognito Registered Member

Is there an uninstaller that stays in the background and monitors any registry keys that are created, so that when you want to uninstall it'll catch the stuff thats created when the program is running.

I dont mean the pre/post snapshot, i mean the program is running all the time in the background watching the registry.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. 2good

2good Guest

Total uninstaller or Ashampoo.

3. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Total Uninstall (www.martau.com) is a great uninstaller that will do what you want, but it's not freeware.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Your Uninstaller 2008 & Revo & CCleaner dont' monitor the registry

6. fistico

fistico Registered Member

Your Unistaller 2008 =>Aggressive Mode

Monitor or not, the given issue is
    How to Remove Most
    of the Remnants of software installation.

There were cases that Your Uninstaller 2008
    Found and Removed more Registry entries than Total Uninstall.

Here, it is some evidence:

I installed Driver Genius Pro and
    tried to Uninstalled with Your Uninstaller PRO and Total Uninstall.

I used the most Advanced (=Aggressive) settings in Your Uninstaller PRO and Total Uninstall.

Results:

-Your Uninstaller PRO found 220 Registry entries -BUT- Only 18 were Safe to Delete:
    http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8123/13606450hm8.jpg

-Total Uninstall 5.2 found/removed only 3 Registry entries:
    http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/9914/18944066vg1.jpg

Another example:
    Uninstalling Windows Updates Downloader:

-Your Uninstaller PRO Removed 9 Registry entries:
    http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1990/92467861gv9.jpg

-Total Uninstall Removed 6 Registry entries:
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8801/84912751pf4.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  7. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It seems you uninstalled with Your Uninstaller firstly. You used Total Uninstall after.

Am I right?

8. fistico

fistico Registered Member

No, you are wrong.

-I used AyRecovery and Took a snapshot!
    -I uninstalled with Total Uninstall
    then, I restored the Snapshot,
    -and I uninstalled with Your Uninstaller.

***I did NOT use Total Uninstall and after it Your Uninstaller.
    AND
    ***I did NOT use Your Uninstaller and after it Total Uninstall.

I hope it is clear now...

9. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Ok. Clarified...

But something is wrong. It is unlikely TU not to be able to detect the uninstall strings...

10. Incognito

i'm looking for an uninstaller that monitor registry because most programs create and use alot of keys when its running. Keys are not only created during install and on top of that, monitoring the registry directly instead of taking post/pre snapshots is a better way of finding those keys.

11. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Before becoming an Eaz-Fix user (which is perfection in reversing an install) I tried both Your Uninstaller and Ashampoo Uninstaller and found that when Ashampoo monitored the install it removed every related entry. However, when used after the fact (removing a program that was installed before the uninstallers were installed), neither one did a complete job.

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The Holy Grail that shall fulfill your noble quest is Zsoft (ZS). - - During an install, ZS monitors ALL key systemic files including but not limited to registry.

Zs is: Free. Friendly. Fabulous. This is my last gasp. Further deponent sayeth naught. :cool:

13. Incognito

I just installed it but how do you get it to monitor everything during an installation?

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but total uninstall make a snapshot of the registry and the files in c: for example, you install the program , run the program , run total uninstaller (another snapshot of the registry and files)

i think you don't use total unisntall in the right way

because i had your uninstalller and i found really in vain

15. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I think the same. Without offense of course, fistico.

I use ZSoft Uninstaller - it's EXCELLENT!!!
    To start an analyzed installation press in 'Analyze' button.

16. Incognito

I did that but all it did was take a pre install image. It didn't monitor the registry. What I mean by monitoring is something like regmon from sysinternals

17. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Same here...but I became a Rollback RX user instead (now let's not start that one again) ;)

18. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It allows the user to uninstall all changes that a app. does when is installed. It compares registry and files changes (not only registry). It seems you don't want an app. uninstaller; you want an app. that monitors registry activity that a program does when working.

This isn't a uninstall feature. An uninstaller isn't a registry monitoring app.. Uninstallers must to uninstall a program - not what the program does (if the program delete a file the uninstaller haven't to recover it; if the program create a registry key to optimize the performance, isn't a uninstaller issue, it's a program activity matter or user issue...). The (un)install process is an issue to the uninstaller; the app. activity is another event.

You can try NirSoft' RegFromApp.

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

1- Run Zsoft > Click "Analyze" (it's the one with the magnifying glass icon) > (Next screen = "Welcome") select "Analyze an installation" then click "Next" > (Next Screen = "Analyze an installation") select C: drive & any other hard drives that will be affected by the installation. Click "Before Installation" >At this stage, Zsoft will do a bit of scanning. When it finishes scanning...

2- INSTALL THE SOFTWARE. When the installation of the software is completed, then...

3- On Zsoft's "Analyze an installation" screen, click "After installation." After Zsoft scans for a few minutes, it will ask you to enter the name of the software. Do that, then Zsoft will work another second or so. When Zsoft is done, you are finished.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***NOTE: If installing the new software requires a Restart, then (when the restart is finished)...
    3a- Run Zsoft > Click "Analyze" (it's the one with the magnifying glass icon) > (Next screen = "Welcome") select "Finish an analysis that has already been started" then click "Next" > (Next Screen = "Analyze an installation") select C: drive & any other hard drives that will be affected by the installation. Click "After Installation" > After Zsoft scans for a few minutes, it will ask you to enter the name of the software. Do that, watch Zsoft work a teeny bit more, and then you are finished.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have further questions, Zsoft has a helpful support forum at THIS web page.

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Regmon and Filemon have been integrated into Sysinternals' Process Monitor.

21. Incognito

monitoring the registry would be a more efficient and better way of finding the registry keys that a program makes.

22. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Yes, you are right. Nonetheless it isn't an install/unninstall issue; it's an application activity matter. E.g.: if an Anti Spyware program deletes a suspect/harmful registry entry it isn't arised from their own installer - but by their needed software activity.

ZSoft Uninstaller monitors the registry changes (and files) done by the app.'installer that allows to do a accurate uninstall.

23. Incognito

Yeah but thats the whole point of an uninstaller, to remove all traces of the program. Uninstaller's dont usually get the stuff programs leave behind during regular running.

24. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

But not traces related to the activity'programs. If a app. delete a file, their uninstaller isn't forced to recover it (for this there are backup/recover software). Software is architected to work in a dynamic Operating System - Windows isn't a static O.S.. If Windows needs to create e.g. MUI cache, these items aren't changes done by the programs installers but because software works in a O.S. - and the O.S. needs to operate. In fact programs software aren't a O.S. - they need a O.S. to work. When the app. does their features is it that works - not their installer. And works in a dinamic system - indeed Windows is a real system, not a virtual and static system.

The Uninstallers'core component are the installers and their action - never the programs activities. Here is the O.S. that operates with them... When the uninstallers delete e.g. MUI cache created by O.S. to operate with the app. they are doing an appreciated additional feature; but isn't the core component. And uninstallers must not think that they are the O.S.. If so, they aren't uninstallers - they are a O.S. foe (there are many...).

Like said before uninstallers don't monitor "regular running". They don't uninstall what an app. does (if the app. delete a folder/registry key isn't uninstaller duty to recover it; if a pdf app. created a pdf file, their uninstaller must not delete it after). Uninstaller must to uninstall a program - not what it did. If an app. destroyed a PC their uninstaller isn't the guilty - and isn't their work to repair the O.S. after.

25. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Had a look at ZSoft uninstaller and I believe it has some potential.

Even if say a rogue app is installed before ZSoft can analyze the install you can still get a full uninstall log from someone with a virtual machine.

So in effect if someone is hit by a rogue you could help by zipping and emailing/uploading the log for them which is extracted to C:\Program Files\ZSoft\Uninstaller\logs.

The "logs" folder may have to be created manually if ZSoft hasn't been run before.

Reboot into safe mode then run ZSoft and the uninstaller.

Just tried this method with the rogue app Winiguard and it worked fine, all virtually of course.

Probably won't work in all cases but just may help in some?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.