Uninstaller Software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Feb 22, 2015.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's the paid version of Geek. It has some extra features but does not find more leftovers.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

3. roger_m

I'm looking for an alternative to Comodo Programs Manager, which also automatically monitors when programs are installed.

I'm having issues with Comodo Programs Manager - the background monitoring of my system makes my laptop freeze briefly from time to time due to high disk usage. I'm not sure why it causing freezing, even with high disk usage, but it is. Because of this I am looking for a similar alternative uninstaller. Apart from the freezing and lack of updates, I think CPM is brilliant, so am looking for something very similar.

I like CPM because it automatically monitors every program that you install. You don't have to do anything manually, it monitors any changes the installer makes and then when the install is complete, a notification window telling you that the install was monitored appears briefly.

I am specifically looking for an uninstaller which actually monitors the changes made when programs are installed, rather than taking before and after snapshots of the system. Taking snapshots is time consuming, which is annoying when you are installing software up to 7 days a week. I also want the uninstaller to automatically monitor any program installs without any user intervention.

I have found Mirekusoft Install Monitor, but it nowhere near as polished as CPM, and because of this I want to use something else. Crystal Idea's Uninstall Tool (the paid version of Geek Uninstaller) also monitors installs, but you have to manually install programs, and it has some problems - e.g. the installation monitor crashed after monitoring the install of 360 Total Security, meaning that it kept to no record of the installation.

So does anyone have any suggestion for another uninstaller I can use that monitors installations?

4. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

5. roger_m

@Ashanta It doesn't monitor installations.

6. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Did anybody try Ashampoo's Uninstaller?

7. Ashanta

"The app boasts a feature called silent/automatic uninstallation. It is designed to read the section of the registry where installed applications are registered with Windows. These registry entries consist of uninstallstring value that guides Windows in uninstallation of those programs. Often times, a program may also include quietuninstallstring values used for silent/automatic uninstall. If the later string value is available, dUninstaller executes that command instead; otherwise it goes with the standard uninstallation procedure. Another feature it boasts is the ability to remove multiple programs in batch."

http://www.addictivetips.com/window...automated-remote-app-uninstaller-for-windows/

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I'm curious too. I have been using their free burning studio and it is really a great piece of application with the full burning features for free.

9. pegas

pegas Registered Member

While it is definitely an advanced feature it is not the full monitoring what probably @roger_m thought, imo.

10. Ashanta

Probably, but he could give a chance to this program if no ones appeared based on their criterias.

11. roger_m

I won't use it because it only runs a programs standard uninstaller. There is no monitoring of installs so that it can remove all files and registry keys created during the install, and there is also no scan for leftover traces after an uninstall is complete.

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

The new Ashampoo Uninstaller v5 seems to be a very comprehensive tool including installation monitoring etc. Check the screenshots here, it will guide you through all options. But 50 USD is a manic price! Though a feedback is welcome.

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I got a popup to go here for Ashampoo offers from that page.

https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/mar

Offers the Uninstaller 5 for $9.99 (halfway down page)

14. pegas

pegas Registered Member

That's the price! A very good deal, indeed. Thanks. I'm tempted ...

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Well, I googled reviews but it is rated only moderately. Not so reliable monitoring (especially when an installation needs a reboot), not queue uninstallations, no toolbars removal, leaving folders, registry and files behind. Even IObit uninstaller gets better rating than Ashampoo. So, I have decided to stick with IObit and save 10 USD :)

16. roger_m

I just tested it, and performs very poorly compared to Comodo Programs Manager. CPM automatically detects and monitors any program you install, whereas I had trouble getting Ashampoo Uninstall to monitor anything. I configure Ashampoo Uninstaller to monitor program installs, and then install a few programs, none of which were monitored. I then checked the settings, and by default only installers launched from certain programs such as Windows Explorer are monitored. I was launching installed from a Command Prompt window. I changed the settings to monitor installations no matter what process launched the installer. I then installed a few more programs, and once again none of them where monitored.

Next, I cleanly uninstalled Ashampoo Uninstaller with CPM, which had monitored its install.

Ashampoo Uninstaller may not be a bad program if you want to manually start the monitoring. I wouldn't rely on the automatic monitoring.

While I'm still looking for an alternative to CPM and don't want to continue using it, I did manage to get it working fine under Windows 10. I had to install it in compatibility mode for Windows 7, and after installation and before launching it, I set almost all the exe files in it's program folder to Windows 7 compatibility mode. Afterwards, I installed a program, and it was monitored by CPM. However I must add that as well as no longer being updated, Comodo don't recommend using CPM anymore.

17. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks Roger for the feedback. As I don't run a VM, I'm glad that I didn't try this application.

18. phalanaxus

Has anybody heard of an installer called Mirekusoft Install Monitor ? I think it has automatic install monitoring.

19. roger_m

See this post.

20. phalanaxus

Other than the polish did you see any problems with it ? I just tried version 1.1 and it did a good work on some trial installs. Btw which version did you use (there is a free 1.1 version and a commercial 2 version) ?

21. roger_m

I used the commercial version, and did not test it for long, so can't really offer much insight. I decided to keep using CPM until I find a better alternative.

22. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Salutations,

When was the last time Comodo Programs Manager was updated?
    Are there any con''s? Especially, after uninstalling and rebooting the PC?
    And what make better than the rest of the uninstaller

Moose's Word
    All the very best

23. roger_m

@Moose World It was last updated in September of 2011 - so it's been some time.
    I like it better than other uninstallers because it automatically monitors all program installs in the background, without any user intervention needed.

When going to uninstall programs within CPM you can get it to only show monitored installs, which makes it easy to separate from non monitored installs. Also, if an uninstaller requires a reboot, you can proceed with the reboot and then once you've rebooted you will be able to remove the leftover traces.

Some people have had problems where CPM causes endless reboots. While some people have trouble getting CPM in Windows 8, I've got it running successfully in Windows 10 (using Windows 7 compatibility for the exe files). Also, I'm looking for an alternative because the background updating task sometimes causes occasional freezes due to high disk use. This is something that is an issue for me, but on a different computer it may not cause freezing.

24. Ashanta

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  25. Ashanta

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.