Uninstaller Software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Feb 22, 2015.

1. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

It is, but just like pot, it "can"...kill you, but does it?

2. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Fanboyism, too...

3. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

No.

4. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

I think there are quite some misunderstandings about one cleaner "more thoroughly" cleaning than the competition, lots of people actually tend to go to the most "thoroughly" and thus "best" one, not knowing that they just prefer the dumbest and most dangerous one, some uninstallers will even go that far in trying to convince you to be the "most thorough" one, they actually simply hunt down the registry and flag everything containing the string "Adobe" as a leftover when you think you're doing a "thorough" un-install of Adobe Flashplayer. Some weeks later, they start to wonder about all these kind of weird behaviors that start to act up.

I'm not choosing sites, I made the mistake to ever have payed for Total Uninstall, not because it's a bad uninstaller, quite the contrary, but I'll not recommend it due to the lack of real support and rather harsh comments from the developer when asking for some support.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I always check the results for false positives before deleting it. Revo and Free Uninstall It only occasionally have issues with false positives.

6. roger_m

It does no scanning for leftovers. For it to do a clean uninstall of a program you need to get it to monitor to the installation of the program so it knows what to remove.

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

The comodo programs manager appears to be an abandoned project.

8. roger_m

It was abandoned long ago, and does work on Windows 8 for some people. However, after just testing it under Windows 7, I can say that is works very well. When I used it to uninstall programs it had monitored, it did a very good of doing a clean install. Except for one instance where Revo found a few leftovers, neither Revo or IObit were finding any leftovers from the software it had uninstalled.

Comodo Programs Manager automatically and silently monitors any software you install, with a popup Window appearing after the software has been installed to inform that the install was monitored. I like that the monitoring is done silently without prompting you first, and that unlike some uninstallers it does not need to spend time doing creating a snapshot of your system first.

If you use it to uninstall monitored software, it first launches the programs own installer, and then once the uninstall has completed, it gives you the option to remove any remaining leftovers. Since it already has a record of files and registry keys used by the program, it does not need to spend time scanning your system for leftovers. I like it and will continue to use it.

9. roger_m

I will test CPM under Windows 10 as soon as I revive my Windows 10 partition which currently won't boot.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  10. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Does anyone know with revo PRO if you can turn off the real time installation monitor? I don't want that or want it running in the back ground.

11. roger_m

There's nothing to turn off as Revo does not automatically monitor installations. It only runs when you manually tell Revo to monitor an installation as per the following (taken from Revo's User's Guide).

12. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

13. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

I prefer Iobit uninstaller will detect any left over even after a reboot and will ask you and also it monitors if you uninstall any programs using windows or other uninstaller and anything is left, will give you a warning of leftover and will remove it. It monitors.

But during install you have to watch out of bundle and uncheck it.

14. roger_m

@Ashanta Yes I just discovered that it does support programs which need a reboot. You can reboot, and when you relaunch Comodo Programs Manager again the program you just uninstalled will still show in the programs list as a monitored install (it will also show that is it no longer installed). You can start the Complete Uninstall again and it find and remove any remaining monitored traces which have been left behind.

I am really liking CPM a lot. The monitoring of programs is very unobtrusive. Also, it is quite smart too. For example when trying to uninstall the Chinese version of 360 Internet Security, since I had no understanding of the options presented in Chinese and I clicked on the wrong icon, and instead of uninstalling it, the program files were moved from my C: partition to my H: partition. After I actually managed to uninstall 360, CPM found the traces of it on my H: partition.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  15. Ashanta

Great funny your story with the Chinese program !! :D

CPM is like an intelligent program that can speak multi-languages ! :D

Thanks for sharing this experience :thumb:

If you have to rank your three best uninstallers in order of importance, which ones will you choose ?

16. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

What would this be then?

Attached Files:

17. roger_m

Have a look at my previous post, it does not run in the background and check for program installations, it has to be run manually.

18. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Great thanks,

19. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

comodo has some great softwares, but too bad they drop development ans support for them. programs like comodo time machine and comodo program manager.

20. roger_m

COMODO Programs Manager - it does an excellent job of monitoring installations
    Revo Uninstaller Pro - very thorough scan for leftovers
    IObit Uninstaller - almost as good as Revo and free

Personally I would use CPM along with Revo or IObit. CPM missed an install of Opera which came bundled with another installer, so I used Revo to uninstall it. But, for everything else I'm using CPM. If I'd paid attention during the install, I wouldn't have got Opera anyway.

CPM won't work for some Windows 8 users. Soon, I will try it under both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 to see if I can get it to work. I do my best to avoid using Windows 10 due to performance issues and other bugs now that I've got an older install of Windows 7 working again in another laptop, but I will try CPM under it.

21. Ashanta

Roger_m,

Thanks for this review, I will take it in account.
    You said that you got a problem with Opera using CPM and you uninstalled with Revo.
    What do you mean by 'If I'd paid attention during the install, I wouldn't have got Opera anyway' as the installation monitoring is automatically with CPM ?

22. roger_m

Opera came bundled with another program. There would have been the option to not install Opera, but I missed this so Opera was installed.

23. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Still using geek uninstaller , should i switch ?

24. Ashanta

Roger_m,

Have you already tried ZSoft Uninstaller ? I'd like to have your review for this software, thanks in advance.

PS: Adware Removal Tool appeared on your signature, is it the one from techsupportalert or from BitDefender ?

25. roger_m

@Ashanta I have used ZSoft Uninstaller, and have found to not to a very good of finding leftovers, so I wouldn't even bother with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.