Uninstaller Software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Feb 22, 2015.

1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Would it not be safe to assume that top ten reviews would receive some monies from its chief affiliates .?

So what about websites like freeware files and softpedia etc,how do they survive seeing as the majority of their software is free..

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Pretty much all the software they recommend they are an affiliate for.

Through advertising and as an affiliate too. They do have a lot of paid software, and often when there is a "Buy" link on a program's page they are using an affiliate link so they make money from the purchase.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

So far I haven't found any issues with the standard uninstall tool from Win 8, but I've always wanted to use a more advanced one. I think I kinda like GeekUninstaller, it's simple and looks nice.

4. roger_m

@Mayahana I have found Revo to be the best, having tested every uninstaller there is. However, it is some time since I've used Advanced Uninstaller and will try it again now to see how it does.

5. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Agree! - I generally use Revo, but it sometimes leaves stuff in AppData folder and\or Registry. The best I can say about Revo is that at least it's never borked my system after removal of Registry items. (touch wood!)
    I think the best option is to try several – and see which suits your needs.

I doubt that there is any one uninstaller to rule them all! ;)

6. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I have it and don't like all the extra tools it offers. A uninstaller should be just that.

7. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

It does have useless tools I hate and don't use.

8. roger_m

@Mayahana I just did a comparison of the current versions of Revo and Advanced Uninstaller. Revo is far superior at finding leftovers. They often find the same amount of leftover files, with Revo sometimes finding more. But Revo usually finds a lot more registry entries. For example, did a scan for leftover from Softmaker Office (without actually uninstalling it first), and Revo found more than 20 times number of leftover registry entries, without any false positives.

9. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I haven't paid any mind to the extra tools. I use it purely to uninstall.

It's insane to find sometimes... THOUSANDS of remnants from products left over.. A major pet peeve of mine!

As I said - we've found Advanced doesn't break anything, never has broken anything, never yields any false positives, and is overall the safest while providing the most thorough while being safe. Revo can sometimes find more, but it can also break things, and has to be used more carefully.

10. roger_m

That's why I have a look at the found leftovers before letting Revo delete anything. But I presume you wouldn't get any false positives with it if you use the safe scanning mode. I always used the advanced mode so I can clean as much leftovers as possible.

11. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I think REVO is safe in the safer mode. We've had techs cause some serious issues by going into deep mode. So we just have them use AUP 11.21, and it's safe all around, while getting most of the junk. I'd save for a savvy user like you, Revo is a better choice overall.

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

While I prefer IObit I admit that there is no completely perfect uninstaller, including IObit, and reading this thread it is also confirmed by others. We have different results with many uninstalling tools. Some are way too aggressive, some are way too mild. If I can choose, I go with the second ones to be on the safe side.

13. roger_m

@pegas With the cleaning level set to Advanced, Revo gives occasional false positives. But, I believe IObit does too. For a free uninstaller with 64 bit support, Free Uninstall It is a better choice as it finds more leftovers than IObit.

14. pegas

pegas Registered Member

A link please, I'll give it a try. I found only any malware cleaner.

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Probably I was lucky enough but never had FPs with Revo neither IObit.

16. roger_m

17. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks but I guess this application is abandoned product (dead as regards any future development). I searched it at other download sites and it seems that the last update is dated back to last May or June. To support my assumption, look at this site http://www.free-uninstall.org what is most probably the home page (the icon is the same) but no mention about Free Uninstall It, it offers to download only malware cleaner. In such a case I won't install it as I try as much to adhere my approach to install only supported applications.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  18. roger_m

It appears so. But it is the best free uninstaller with 64 bit support.

19. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

20. roger_m

21. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

For you guys running Revo you must be using the 64bit paid version? is there any sales on revo or just there web site price is as good as it gets?

22. pegas

pegas Registered Member

When I was using Revo Free there was a discount 30% or so for Pro version but this discount wasn't offered on their webpage. It looked like the discount was available only via Revo Free. Maybe it lasts yet.

23. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Did you used the latest version?

24. roger_m

@daman1 You can get a 50% discount with the coupon code REVO-50.

25. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

thank you! :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.