Uninstaller Software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Feb 22, 2015.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes it does, but you have to set rules manually. In my case I don't want more control. I use Windows Firewall because it keeps prompts to an absolute minimum.

Maybe I will try and install a known threat with CPM to see if it gets detected.

2. roger_m

I just found a critical bug with CPM. It lost the database of monitored files somehow. Now when I run CPM it is showing it has no record of any monitored installs. CPM keeps no backup of its database, so all the install information has been completely lost.

This is another reason why to I want to find an alternative.

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Now it ranks CPM among IObit, Revo Free and so on. It is even worse because of lack of support.

As for finding an alternative I'm afraid that all viable options being available on market have been tried. Wish I'm wrong.

4. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

What I think so far after trying a lot of things:

-CPM has automatic monitoring but is abandonware and while it generally works quite well, there are some bugs (like database corruption, monitoring process stopping out of blue, etc.) which are deal breakers for me.

-Mirkeusoft (trying v.1) so far so good. V1 is free, works on windows 7, has automatic installation monitoring and seems quite well and removal. There is a commercial version 2 which works on Win 8, haven't tried that one.

-IOBIT doesn't have monitoring capabilities, however is free and quite good in trace removal.

-Revo free doesn't have monitoring capabilities, however is free and is about the same in trace removal with IObit. Has some problems with removals that require restarts. Paid version offers manual tracking but it has problems with removals/installs that require restarts too.

-Ashampoo is paid and has automatic monitoring, however automatic monitoring is not reliable and you are better off right clicking the setup for install with Ashampoo option. Has throughout removal but you can't select what it deletes (It causes problems especially when uninstalling programs with dependencies which are shared with other software like C++ libraries.)

-Soft Organizer is paid (there is a promo floating around in comms ru). Has monitoring which warns when a new install begins, you need to take tell the app to take a snapshot however it seems quite quick from what I experienced so far. Removal capabilities are quite nice.

-Advanced Uninstaller Pro is free, has a manual tracking option which is somewhat broken. But after uninstallation trace removal capabilities are on par with revo and IObit. However program offers tons of other modules (which I don't need).

If you want I can try some others too. Just name them.

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ chachazz,
    From Help file posted: "Save the Log and then restart".

But the trouble (not litle at all) is: it is unable to save the log after reboot, with changes done in reboot process!

6. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Geek uninstaller please

7. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

Iobit it can scan thoroughly for leftovers after running the program's uninstaller, even for old programs installed on your computer. I can tell you more, I uninstalled recently a few programs with a beta uninstaller, then IObit automatically detected that there were still traces on these programs (I was uninstalling with another uninstaller, version beta) and it offered me to scan it with Iobit.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yes, that's also my experience. IObit gives me the best results.

9. phalanaxus

That's what I mean by good trace removal.

@Sherlock_Holmes Tried Geek free, it left numerous registry keys and a few temp files on the system each time.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  10. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Thanx , will probably switch back to iobit then

11. Ashanta

Iobit is one of the best or maybe the best uninstaller for me. On second place, will be Soft Organizer.

PS: Unfortunately, CPM doesn't work for me.

12. roger_m

CPM is not working again. I just installed some software and the usual window from CPM, showing that is had monitored the installation appeared. When I opened CPM it actually showed my monitored installs again. It has missed the few days when CPM had stopped working, but it did show 17 programs it had monitored prior to that.

I'm still looking for a replacement, in case CPM won't run in a future version of Windows, preventing me from using it to remove previous installed software.

13. roger_m

I uninstalled CPM yesterday, and I'm getting no more freezes. I haven't found a replacement as of yet, but I could no longer put up with the freezes which I was fairly sure were caused by CPM, and removal of CPM proved they were.

For the moment I'm using IObit Uninstaller. It has no monitoring of installs, but I do the like the batch install mode, which I find handy as I often want to uninstall a number of programs in one session.

14. Ashanta

Best choice ! :thumb:

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Well Advanced Uninstaller Pro older versions are giving me errors now since some recent Windows updates (Win 8x). Geek Uninstaller stinks. Revo is annoying, ugly, and I hate how it doesn't show all installed applications.

Not sure what I am left with now... It should be free/cheap, I don't want to buy 12 licenses for something rarely used.

16. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I installed IOBit uninstaller against my better judgement.

After installation, every 60 seconds it sends telemetry to 72.21.81.253, which is actually a malware hosting IP scope.

Back to square one.

17. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

thanks for letting us know. Also could you check others like revo uninstaller to see if any other ones do the same thing?

18. roger_m

It is the address for a CDN which is used by a lot of software. Even Malwarebytes uses it as one of their update servers. Also other well known companies such as Acronis and iolo (System Mechanic) are using it too.

The following links provide more information:
    https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/137553-portscanned-from-mbam-update-sites/
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/ip-address/72.21.81.253/information/

I believe some PUPs make use of this, but so too does a legitimate software too. To ditch IObit due to using this CDN is just paranoia.

19. 59er

59er Registered Member

I've been a happy user of Geek Uninstaller (free) for a couple of years. However, with the latest release, 1.3.3.45, the 'New version of Geek Uninstaller is available .....' dialog box appears every time I run it. It does open as usual after clicking 'Cancel'. An annoying little bug.
    Any users of the latest free version having the same issue?

20. roger_m

I haven't used Geek for a while. But I remember that after a certain amount of time Geek would stop working due to being and old version, and you would need to download the latest version to keep using it.

21. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

Let's give it a "couple" of years ago when M$ dumped a heavy duty update and I was running way too much overhead security software (winpatrol, comodo, exe radar pro, etc.)... Yeah, more is better..NOT. Got on the horn with M$ support for WIN7 and the dude in India (yeh.. a legitimate post here) downloads Total Uninstall and wiped out a previously attempted botched Comodo uninstall. This application (Total Uninstall) wiped out some serious file/registry crap that the WIN7 uninstaller didn't have a clue to find. Granted... it's not a freebie. But if you need an uninstaller that will dig deep and remove all the shyat that needs to be wiped... this is the ticket. No bloat, no wasted hard drive space, and frequently updated. If you need the best of the best, look no further. I have uninstalled at least 30 apps and scanned a registry check with CCleaner and every deletion checked out as clean as the proverbial whistle. Give it a shot... you definitely will not be disappointed.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  22. roger_m

@StillBorn Unless you are using the snapshot function to monitor installs, then I believe that Revo/IObit/Geek and Free Uninstall It, will usually find more leftovers.

23. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

@roger_m With all due respect my dear friend, the "leftovers" left behind by TU (yeah, seriously not happening folks) might matter a byte or two but shouldn't matter even the slightest bit in the end. ;)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  24. roger_m

@StillBorn Most likely the installers I mentioned, will find more leftovers than TU. But, you are right in saying that it shouldn't matter if TU finds less traces.

25. phalanaxus

Continuing to use Soft Organizer and Mirekusoft Install Monitor with pleasing results in two seperate boxes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.