Uninstallation error (failure)

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by user12, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user12

user12 Registered Member

FD-ISR doesn't seem to be playing well on my new Laptop (don't think it can copy my entire drive into a new snapshot) so I've decided to give Rollback a go. However I encounter an error during unnstallation (just after the cmd command box opens).

I have continued uninstallation with errors and it warned that it has not been completely removed (Yes, I have selected to remove everything). On restart I can see the FD-ISR pre-boot screen. I need to get it off the machine a.s.a.p; Any ideas?

edit:even after re-imaging with my acer backup discs the pre-boot screen still there.

edit2: I have re-installed FD-ISR but I can't disable the pre-boot through actions, even that fails.

Need your help guys

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

When you installed FDISR, did you perchance make the MBR floppy as the program strongly suggested.

Second question. Did you get a Windows CD with your machine.

3. user12

user12 Registered Member

Quick answers:

NO (don't have a floppy drive)
    NO

4. screamer

screamer Registered Member

User12,

Try to un-install "Program Only", you can then go back and delete the SS.

hth,

...screamer

5. user12

user12 Registered Member

trued that; same error message (problem). Even tried restoring backup image using acer recovery.

Still can't get rid of pre-boot screen.

what do you mean by the SS? snapshots?

6. screamer

screamer Registered Member

yeah, SS = SnapShots.

Have you tried an un-install in Safe Mode?

If all else fails... Try deleting the FD-ISR folder(s) and then running a reg cleaner. Of course this is a last ditch effort.

...screamer

7. user12

user12 Registered Member

Finally, I think I've got rid of the pre-boot screen.

Restored factory image with acer e-recovery (made the discs on the first day). After that...
    Waited around 3 hours for my friend to turn up with his XP (MCE) disc (btw he only lives 10 mins away).

Then booted into recovery console after reading this and then followed this.

After all of that... I'm wondering whether I want to give Rollback a spin?... Maybe not, or maybe...

Thanks screamer and peter2150.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

user12,
    I would be more worried about not having a Windows Installation CD in your case.

The fact that your restoration didn't work properly is another even more serious thing to worry about.
    I restored my computer with an image without FDISR over a harddisk with FDISR on it and it worked without any problems.
    A restoration of any image has to work properly no matter what is on your harddisk. That is the true meaning of restoration, getting exactly back on your harddisk, what you had in the past.
    Fix that first and then try RollbackRx.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  9. Peter2150

Erik

Some recovery CD's dont't do the MBR or track 0 like ATI or SP

USER12

Be careful Rollback, as you can run into the same MBR issues.

Pete

10. ErikAlbert

That doesn't change anything. If you don't know how to restore your harddisk properly, you can't do such experiments.
    If the MBR isn't restored by the recovery CD, you have to solve that problem first.

11. user12

user12 Registered Member

Well I used acer's factory reset installation discs that I had to make after the first boot. Am I concerned about the restoration? Yes; defininately.

Seems like you guys would recommend acronis true image and shadowprotect? right?

Also do you guys know if I was acer usually provides windows installation cd? All I have is a small genuine xp mce certificate stuck underneath.

Don't worry won't be dipping my hands into Rollback, this experience has made me think twice.

12. user12

user12 Registered Member

should I purchase an alternative like ATI or do you suspect I have somehow messed up the recovery? although I can't see how.

13. ErikAlbert

I don't know how to recover the MBR, because I don't have your problem, but I'm sure that other members can help you with that if you prefer to keep on using the Recovery CD.

ATI recovers the MBR + partition completely and you also can recover them separately, if that would be necessary.
    SP does probably the same, but I don't use it. Peter uses SP.

14. user12

user12 Registered Member

Like I said I ran the mbrfix which seems to have sorted the issue. My major concern is the incomplete snapshot (I presume incomplete as it was only 5 gigs when my original partition was considerably more) and the other concern was the uninstallation error. This is a shame as I has good experience with FD-ISR on my desktop.

Obviously acer's image recovery is also a concern that probably means that I need to use an alternative software. Just wrote a support ticket to acer about the problem and the fact that I don't have a windows XP MCE installation cd. I'll wait to see what they say.

15. ErikAlbert

Do you have enough space on the harddisk of your laptop, because FDISR requires alot of space to make snapshots ?

16. user12

user12 Registered Member

I have 120 gig hard drive split into 2 partitions. It's strange because it doesn't show any errors when it copies the snapshot.

Yesterday when I made a 3rd snapshot from my secondary snapshot, I received a GMAL -04 error and couldn't boot into any other snapshot. Hence the reason for uninstallation.

17. ErikAlbert

I hope the partition of your Windows + FDISR is big enough to make snapshots.
    The other partition isn't important for FDISR.

18. user12

user12 Registered Member

They are split equally into 60 gigs each.

19. ErikAlbert

That should be enough, even with 10 snapshots I had about 30gigs.
    So the problem must be caused by something else.

20. Peter2150

Hi User12

1. I would contact Raxco(or the vendor you got FDISR) from and see if they can help you work thru the FDISR problem

2. On the imaging, and Erik can correct me if i am wrong, ATI, gives you the choice of restoring the MBR in the image, or not. If I am right, SP has one advantage, you can chose not to restore the mbr, like ATI, but also chose between restoring the MBR in the image, or just re writing a standard windows MBR.

I will be curious to see what feedback you get from Acer.

Pete

21. ErikAlbert

Peter,
    You are right about ATI, it doesn't have an option for a standard windows MBR.
    ATI never failed on me, but ShadowProtect will be my next choice, if I ever ditch ATI.

22. user12

user12 Registered Member

Usually it's my last resort as responses can be slow (maybe Raxco are good). Unfortunately I didn't save any logs or anything else and I don't think I'll be replicating my experience, but I will try contacting them by the end of next week.

It's noted. I may try phoning tech support (they supplied the number once I submitted my form). I'll keep you up to date.

btw this is Acer eRecovery
    edit OMG I'm just reading that eRecovery keeps it's image on the 2nd partition which needs to be FAT32, if this is true I may need to re-convert my D partition back to FAT32 as I have converted it to NTFS.

23. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK Firstly I am not trying to sway people from one product to another, as each individual has almost certainly come across some circumstance, with whatever product they use. However I must say user12 I can understand your reluctance to not give Rollback a try, I know how having problems can make people very uncertain, and unwilling, or worried the same problem will happen again. I have to say though, and I'm sure others will agree, trial and error, is sometimes unavoidably nessescary to setup your pc to your likings. As a person who has used Rollback for 4 months and not encountered anything like what user12 has experienced, I have to say I'm satisfied, with the exception of not getting a free ugrade to Version 8 for Vista, Rollback has performed,and saved me several times effortlessly. So do you try? or dont you try? Only one sure way to find out.

Secondly, user12 what partition did you install FDISR on? was it your Primary? or Secondary? and is the Acer Recovery Program installed on your PC. or on CD Only? Usually Pre-Installed Systems have the recovery program built into the Primary Partition, Only if you format this partition will the recovery program no longer work. You didnt format your Partition did you? You may have to get an Acer Technician to come out and reinstall if you did.

I remember once I got a HP Pavillion PC With Windows Home Pre Installed, and I got a Copy of Windows XP Professional, and formatted my Partition :rolleyes: Damn that was a mistake I never did again, Luckily I conned HP into believing they told me it was Ok to do So :D And I got it fixed up for free, Infact I got a New PC :D Whatever you decide user12, I hope All works out well for you :)

24. Peter2150

@ DVD+R

Just out of curiousity, if you use a good imaging program, why do you need their "special" partition.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2007
  25. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Simply put Peter, an image is exactly that, "An Image" its a replication of the Operating system, it does not duplicate partitions If you dont have a partition, you cant install a OS. So it goes with Pre-installed OS Computers, that partition is there for the recovery of the installed system. If you delete, or format it, nothing is on there, so how is it supposed to recover, from what isnt present? ;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.