uninstall v11, reinstall v10 -> puzzling questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by VijghenPh, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VijghenPh

VijghenPh Registered Member

Given the lack of support for my RAID drives on v11 boot CD, I had to resign to move back to v10.

I uninstalled v11. Then reinstalled v10.

...but this became quite stressing as when reinstalling v10 the setup asked me to confirm whether I really wanted to overwrite "more recent" version of system files timntr.sys and tifsfilt.sys that were in C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS. o_O

I sweat a lot as some posts of the net telling that those files used to cause GPF blue screens in the past ( version 8 ).
    So I started looking carefuly for the best option and observed:
    - the files seems to be associated strictly to Acronis (or its embedded BootPE technology)
    - ...that although the message was speaking of newer file I could actually not find them anymore in the target drive (some leftover of their signature in the registry?), so I believe that I was at risk of not having them at all if not 'replacing' them

So I though that the best option was to do "yes, replace more recent files".

Apparentely a good choice: reboot went OK and I am now doing back a backup with v10 'as usual'. :doubt:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Those two files are Acronis specific, so they oughtn't cause problems for other programs if you have the wrong versions. However the same should not be assumed for TI it may well cause TI to do strange things if the wrong set are with the wrong version.

timntr = is the image mounting driver - allows you to mount your images.
    tifsfilt = is the file filter driver.

Colin

3. VijghenPh

VijghenPh Registered Member

Thanks for the tip: I just try mounting an image and it still works. :)

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Versions of the files from ATI 11 were probably left behind, so it was a good move to let version 10 install its own. Version 10 is genrally stable and workable for most folsk; Version 11 is not ready for distribution. Hang onto 10 at least until 11 is fixed.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

It's always wise to make a backup image of your system immediately before installing new software or hardware. That way if you have a problem, you can restore the backup image which eliminates any traces of the new programs, and it lets you try again if you feel you made a mistake or receive a newer version.

Just a thought on how to protect yourself from bad/unsatisfactory installations - even if it's a version of TrueImage.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.