uninstall problems?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cloussau, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloussau

cloussau Registered Member

hi can someone here suggest a way of cleaning ATI off my system.
    To explain futher I loaded the trial and followed the directions as best I could and unfortunately by either bad luck or management i couldnt make an image bigger than 100mb.
    maybe thats all the trial allows . At this point I decided ATI was not for me and have been unable to comletely remove it.
    Thru a partition manager I have been able to regain the lost 10gb partition but am still after 3 months or so unable to completely remove all traces of ATI.
    any suggestions (non sarcastic) are appreciated, i get enough sarcasm already.tks :rolleyes:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cloussau,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Usual uninstallation procedure should be enough. Could you please describe what you mean by "completely remove all traces of ATI"? What errors you get after the uninstallation?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. cloussau

hi and tks for prompt reply, i was wondering how to remove the F11 prompt during boot that was left on my system after uninstallation. The only thing i could see left was a folder in program files which I duly deleted. the result of this was that now i get a warning that acronis cannot boot system and to hit enter key to attempt to boot (which works) so its not a unworkable issue but just a hangover which I would have thought :) should be easily removed

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello cloussau,

During the previous install you must have elected to activate the Startup Recovery Manager (SRM)/create the associated Acronis Secure Zone (SZ). This will have modified your boot drive's Master Boot Record (MBR).

If you had used the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to remove the SZ prior to uninstalling TI, the MBR would have been returned to standard and the space taken by the SZ would have been returned to the appropriate partition.

What to do now? Well, as you have already recovered the 10GB space previously taken up by the SZ by use of Partition Management software, the easiest thing is to repair the MBR. Assuming your using Windows XP, you can either boot into the Recovery Consol from your Windows installation CD and type fixmbr or download/use the relevant mbrautowrite file detailed towards the end of the Acronis Support Sticky titled <Please Read Before You Post>.

Once the MBR is sorted you can, if you so wish, remove the last traces of TI from your hard drive by working your way through the manual uninstall procedure posted by Acronis Support in this previous thread titled <Remove True Image Totally?>.

Regards

5. cloussau

Thanks for your reply and yes it seems what you have guessed is correct.I am on XP Pro and it looks like the MBR fix is all I need. For some reason the only boot I can do other than normal windows boot is via A;drive,I guess my windows disk is corrupted. Can you explain why the ISO file is 1.8mb (too big for a floppy) as it seems that is the only way I can see straight to running that file is via A;drive.Nero(6) wont burn it to a CD as it doesnt recognise it as an iso image. I do now intend researching the recovery console to see if that option is a possibility :doubt:(edit; As i have installed SP2 my versiondisk is now outdated and cannot install recovery console ). The other possibility I am considering is re-loading the trial of ATI just so i can make this correction. Is this last resort a logical method to consider?,I can imagine that when i try to install it I will get bounced because the time limit has expired.

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Download mbrautowrite_en.exe (i.e. the floppy version) to your hard drive. Don't copy it to a floppy disk!!

Insert a formatted, blank, floppy into your A: drive and then run the mbrautowrite_en.exe file. It will then write the necessary bootable mbr utility to your floppy disk.

Nero should have had no problem burning the ISO version of mbrautowrite to CD. When you run Nero, cancel the compilation Wizard, click "Recorder" on Nero's menu bar and select "Burn Image". In the next screen, browse to the mbrautowrite-en.iso file and click "Open". This will then take you to the CD Image Burn Compilation screen where you only need to click on "Burn" to write the bootable image to CD.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.