Uninstall of Eset SS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Shankle, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Had a lovely experience with ESET SS today. Don't get me wrong as Eset SS
    is a product that I can't be without. However there is no program that doesn't
    need tweek here or there.

I was in the rules checking out the rules and saw a Remote that I didn't think should be allowed (in the light blue section) and tried to take the check mark
    out. Hit apply and OK and then tried to get onto the internet. Got a window saying that my internet address was not valid.
    I then decided to uninstall Eset and reinstall it.
    Here's where the fun started. I went into Programs and Features and to Eset
    and hit uninstall. It hung. I then had to go into Safe Mode and piecemeal the
    uninstallation of ESET. Reinstalled Eset and everything was back to normal.
    I really shouldn't have had to go through all this to uninstall ESET SS.
    From now on I will afraid to go anywhere near the rules screen.

2. exwoll

exwoll Registered Member

i reinstalled it yesterday, all was ok, maybe it wasnt installed correctly from the begginin, who knows :p

3. Shankle

Hi Exwoll,
    No, The problem was the uninstall wouldn't work.
    The install worked fine.

I think this subject should be disregarded as I might have been in SandBoxie
    when it happened. Of course you can't do the things I was doing in Sandboxie.
    I won't know the answer to this until I have to do another uninstall.
    Sorry for the bad post.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  4. Mits

Mits Registered Member

I think there are still issues with ESS uninstallation (at least in 64-bit), and that they might persist in the upcoming version 4 (read my adventures in the v4 forum here)

My ESS v3 still does not update virus signatures. Attempting to troubleshoot the issue, it reverted to demo mode, and would not accept my credentials. This morning I had to uninstall it, and there were still leftovers both in Program files and in Application Settings (in both All users and my login). I cannot troubleshoot the issue and provide reliable feedback to Eset without first cleaning up all traces of ESS on my PC.

As I said in the above thread:

The #1 procedure for troubleshooting any issue is to uninstall and reinstall. This is why I insist that the uninstall routines should get polished and performed by an independent application (and not Add-Remove or Installshield). In addition, an installation log would be priceless. A bug tracking system for experienced users to post their verified and reproducible bugs would be the optimal decision. However this would require more human resources from Eset's part. Don't forget that due to the financial crisis, 99.9% of software companies cannot cope with the increasing demand for support and are not able to iron out all the bugs before releasing the next version. Let's all be patient and seek ways to help Eset kill the bugs.

ESS is the best security suite, period. I would not consider an alternative, even offered for free. Our money was well spent, but due to the idiosyncracies of Windows (let me not start on that..) not everything (and often nothing) works by the book.

5. Shankle

Hi Mits,
    For what it's worth let me tell you what I have to go through to uninstall
    some programs. Some are more difficult than others and I think that is done on purpose. Ex: Symantec

To uninstall Eset SS:
    Went into programs and features in Vista and uninstalled ESET
    Did a search on ESET. Tried to delete as much as I could from there.
    Dlls would not delete.
    Went into Safe Mode and from there I got rid of everything.
    Went back into normal mode.
    Did another search for ESET
    Found nothing
    Hope this helps some.

6. Mits

Mits Registered Member

Hey Shankle, I know very well what you mean. Norton AV needs (at least needed in an older version) three (3) reboots to get uninstalled and even then it didn't fully go away. This is why they made an uninstaller, hid it deep within their support site and only when everything else failed, they'd advise "go there and use this".

Manual cleanup as you describe it works in the case of simple software where standard windows places are used. Things get complicated when applications install stuff in other, not disclosed places for anti-piracy measures, self-checks etc. Then we have the infamous conflicts with windows permissions, caches, temporary files, and other defensive software (antispyware etc). My point is that unless the uninstaller does its job, we cannot troubleshoot issues. Am I wrong?

7. Shankle

Hi Mits,
    I have to agree with you.
    Uninstallers should do their job.
    That's why Norton/Symantec will never
    appear on my Puter even if free for eternity.

8. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

Out of curiosity, is your Hang-up during Un-install either during Driver Deletion or toward the end when you get a box saying "5 more seconds"? It takes awhile on Drivers and has taken up to 45 seconds (with mine) to complete the Uninstall steps after I get the alert "5 more seconds" - so 5 seconds actually took 50.

I'm wondering if you're giving up too soon for what can only be called a quirk in the time remaining Alert?

9. Shankle

Hi Cosmos26,
    Not sure I understand your comments.
    I don't recall any boxes telling me to wait 5 more seconds but I would
    have to go through the uninstall again to verify what you are asking.
    One thing I do know is when I did search on Eset I found a ton of Dlls
    that weren't deleted. Safe mode took them out. Purpose, I wanted a
    clean slate before reinstalling as I had screwed up ESET messing around
    with the Rules window. The Rules menu and I don't get along very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.